Talk

Advanced search

Please make my house smell glamorous!

(22 Posts)
AddToBasket Tue 11-Nov-14 18:30:08

A tour of my house is a sensory ride through various areas of Dog & Cat, followed by Bloom of Welly, and Essence of Small Child, on through Scent of Sheet Change Needed and Eau de Oh Dear the laundry Basket Has Overflowed.

I would love to have an inviting and chic aroma. I have visitors coming over the next couple of months and as part of my New Improved Hostessing, I'm going to invest a little bit in nice smells. Any advice or tips?

TheRealNightsWatch Tue 11-Nov-14 18:36:39

Yankee candles- I am currently on Wintery/Christmassy smelling ones.

Reed diffusers are good too. Next have nice ones.

I think plug ins are usually pretty minging though.

I think my house smells nice but we are just about to get a puppy so will be entering a whole new realm of smells! smile

atticusclaw Tue 11-Nov-14 18:41:10

I would recommend an essential oil. Find one you like and put a dab on your light bulbs. It makes the house smell lovely as they what up.

I would also say that the house probably has picked up lots of other smells and so putting sheets, curtains, table cloths, towels, cushion covers, throws etc through a freshen up wash will probably make all the difference

Tykeisagirl Tue 11-Nov-14 18:43:31

I like Yankee candles, but for glamorous I'd go for Jo Malone. They're £££s though.

AddToBasket Tue 11-Nov-14 18:51:04

The plug-ins I tried were BLUERGH. I mean foul. Think bog cleaning.

What oils or candles do you recommend? I will have a sniff when I'm in the city on Friday.

My friend gave me Diptyque Mimosa last summer - that was yum so I could splash on that but it is definitely summery (as well as expensive).

Has anyone tried the Jo Malone Cherry & Clove? It is a bit strong? I think I probably won't stretch to it but I could ask it or similar for a pre-Christmas pressie.

Petallic Tue 11-Nov-14 18:53:58

White company have some nice smelling candles and reed diffusers. And If you sign up but don't buy anything they email you a 20% off voucher a couple of days later.

AddToBasket Tue 11-Nov-14 18:55:48

Oooh, good tip. Can you recommend any of the fragrances?

iwantgin Tue 11-Nov-14 18:56:40

I like candles - just the supermarket but the posher range.

Try and wash all fabrics using a splash of Zoflora in the rinse. Curtains/cushion covers etc.

Air the house regularly too - get some windows open and fresh air blowing through.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Nov-14 18:17:55

If you go into tk maxx or home sense they do Parks reed diffusers etc. The one I have downstairs costs £60 on their website, I paid £12.99.

They smell lovely.

Coolas Fri 14-Nov-14 18:24:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grammar Fri 14-Nov-14 18:24:39

I smelt a wonderful fragrance in a shop once, I asked what it was, but it was prohibitively expensively. I so wish now, I had asked what the fragrance was, (I know it was one of the expensive ones( but which ones should I go for?

catwithflowers Fri 14-Nov-14 18:31:28

The M&S green fig one is out of stock online!!

TongueBiter Fri 14-Nov-14 18:38:01

Glade honey and chocolate candles are lovely imo. They are my house's signature scent smile

Arlagirl Fri 14-Nov-14 18:40:04

Neal's Yard Balance me diffuser. Or White Company.

Levantine Fri 14-Nov-14 18:40:58

Get the carpets shampooed?

catwithflowers Fri 14-Nov-14 18:41:22

Tongue, I like those too. They are often half price at WIlkos smile

Vivacia Fri 14-Nov-14 18:44:09

I really don't think you can mask the smell of "uncleanliness". You've got to clean and air in my opinion.

TongueBiter Fri 14-Nov-14 20:07:58

Cat - even cheaper in bulk from ConcordExtra smile

mummaduke Fri 14-Nov-14 20:15:09

Neom candles/diffusers. In Real Luxury. These are heaven. Expensive but last ages and fill a room completely with scent. Get asked what it is every time a new person visits...

overthehill74 Fri 14-Nov-14 20:17:13

I have recently got a Scentsy warmer and it makes my house smell lush! There are lots of different fragrances to choose from (I'm warming a cinnamon one at min). There is no candle or naked flame and although the warmer is quite expensive to start with, they are more economical than candles. I have been warming one cube for over a week now!

Roussette Fri 14-Nov-14 20:28:22

this

Seriously. You will never go back. I've had mine years. Add water and a few drops of our fave oil and it just pumps out steam and fragrance and is so subtle.

loveka Fri 14-Nov-14 20:28:44

Diptique Feu de bois is just beautiful, smells like an open fire. I love it, wishI could burn it every day. Crabtree and Evelyn Noel is divine. I use it from about now- they have a reed diffuser, but also oil you can burn or put on a lightbulb ring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now