Talk

Advanced search

Best hand held vac?

(22 Posts)
HeyMacWey Sun 09-Nov-14 10:45:23

I have mobility problems so thought that getting a hand held vac would help me stay on top of crumbs etc.

Is anything other than the Dyson one a false economy? I'm on a tight budget as only on ssp so don't have the spare cash to spend much.

Does anyone have any of the cheaper models and would you recommend them? I'm thinking about the vax gator or a black and decker one.

Queenofknickers Sun 09-Nov-14 10:57:11

Place marking as cannot cope with 4 pets and 2 kids, a spinal disability and lugging massive vacuum about!

nailslikeknives Sun 09-Nov-14 10:59:35

Do you mean like a dust buster, if so the black n decker 18v is v g. But you have to bend down so not sure it's suitable?

HeyMacWey Sun 09-Nov-14 11:12:43

Yep - that type of thing. I'm fine with bending down. It's more the weight and pulling/pushing motion or a regular vac that I struggle with.

Have just found that black and decker one for £70 which is affordable.

Mrsgrumble Sun 09-Nov-14 11:21:50

I bought one in asda last week and it has a great long nozzle and powerful suction

Think it's called a goblin and a about 30 pounds. I've tried a few and really happy with it so far. I will try and link

susiedaisy Sun 09-Nov-14 11:29:13

I have a hand held dyson had it as a Xmas present a couple of years ago it's cost a lot of money can't quite remember how much but over a hundred pounds. It's rubbish. I'm so bloody disappointed it's does no better than the £30 ones from bq or supermarket. angry
I thought it would be great for car and the stairs as I find it difficult to vacuum down the stairs but it's crap the suction is no better than many others. So I would say don't bother with a hand held dyson that knows big they will be better than the rest.

HeyMacWey Sun 09-Nov-14 15:11:44

Thanks MrsGrumble what wattage is the asda one?

How disappointing susie

hollyisalovelyname Sun 09-Nov-14 16:47:57

I love my hand held dyson. So much better than other hand vacs I've had before

Qresident Sun 09-Nov-14 16:50:56

Another dyson lover.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Sun 09-Nov-14 16:51:59

I've recently bought a gtech air. It's really light but powerful. I got the handheld as well as the air has no tools. I'm really pleased with both, although the hand held would benefit from being able to lock the trigger so you don't have to hold it down.

ismellonehugerat Sun 09-Nov-14 22:29:17

I bought this a little while ago. T'is brilliant! The battery only lasts about 15 minutes but it's enough to whizz around sucking up crumbs and hair.

McFox Mon 10-Nov-14 02:17:42

I lovey dyson, it's utterly brilliant, I'm really surprised to read anyone say otherwise.

HeyMacWey Mon 10-Nov-14 11:08:30

Thanks - I'm going to go for this one - will report back as to efficiency!

Siarie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:15:24

I haven't used anything other than the dyson handheld. But I can say I've had it years and years and it's not lost suction nor has the charge dropped.

I use it for cleaning up after my cats who knock litter around the house. Dusting and vacuuming the sofa, oh and the car! It's handy and does a good job at picking up those little messes.

Siarie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:18:55

If you really want something to clear your floors, I have the Roomba 880 robot vacuum.

It goes around in the morning every day and picks up that annoying hair and mess pets leave behind. I love it as I only vacuum once a week now myself. I hate the floors looking messy and have a low tolerance for it, I was having to vacuum every day before.

HeyMacWey Mon 10-Nov-14 11:52:43

Would love a roomba but don't have the budget. It'll be for mainly clearing up mess from the woodburner - and the odd crumb or two from the dc's.

Siarie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:53:22

Sounds like a handheld will do the job! smile

susiedaisy Mon 10-Nov-14 13:10:05

I'm wondering if my expectations of a handheld were too high seeing as others love theirs. I have an upright dyson and love it but my handheld not so much.

MamaMed Mon 10-Nov-14 16:32:38

The dyson will last much much longer in my experience. Definitely worth the investment.

Mrsgrumble Mon 10-Nov-14 21:56:26

Sorry for th delay, it is 600 watt, I cannot find it on asda site or amazon though

HeyMacWey Thu 13-Nov-14 08:34:03

Thanks MrsGrumble - it's only available in store for some odd reason.
I went for that black and decker one in the end. It's great - loads of suction and it folds up so I can keep it hidden away behind the sofa on the charger - the house is looking considerably tidier already grin

RachelHRD Thu 13-Nov-14 14:28:50

I have the Black and Decker one and it's good - powerful and effective. Battery life is short but enough for a reasonable amount of hoovering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now