Talk

Advanced search

Efficient way to clean laminate floors

(6 Posts)
givemushypeasachance Fri 07-Nov-14 11:36:39

I've got laminate flooring in the main living area downstairs (rented house) and it seems to show the dirt terribly. I don't mind having to run a broom around every day to prevent fluff and hair build up, but it's the mopping I can't stand. There's me and two muddy-pawed cats to contend with, so I usually need to do it weekly. I use a pretty cheap old fashioned 'string' mop and bucket and generic floor cleaner or stardrops or zooflora, but it just seems to be such a faff I end up trying to put it off all the time. It slops water everywhere, the floor seems to take ages to dry, unless I shut them outside or upstairs then my cats inevitably walk over it, or I need to walk across it to get somewhere. So am I missing a trick in a better way to clean laminate floors without the faff?

PinkSquash Fri 07-Nov-14 11:39:12

I use a vileda 1-2-spray mop, doesn't soak the floor so won't warp the floor and doesn't take too long. You can always mop with clean water after to remove any residue but I don't.

mouselittle Fri 07-Nov-14 14:00:24

I use a vileda 3 in 1 mop. The floor doesn't take long to dry at all and it's easy to wring out.
I find a quick mop every day makes it easier to keep on top of the mess.

rabbit123 Fri 07-Nov-14 14:00:37

I hated having laminate flooring. It constantly needed cleaning. Dust mite allegerns and fleas can live in the cracks of your floor for up to 6 months.

I would always recommend vacuuming a laminate floor with a cylinder style vacuum (much better for hard floors) - get right in the cracks and the corners between the floor and the skirting board.

It does need mopping to keep it clean, too. I found just hot soapy water with a cap of Zoflora worked well, and Zoflora is one of the safest disinfectants to use around animals. Falling that, maybe a steam mop would be a good option?

Mrsgrumble Fri 07-Nov-14 19:48:53

I don't have pets but I clean my laminate on my hand and Kees with bsby wipes then buff up with a dry flat mop

Sometimes I spray lavender floor shine (natural) and use a flat mop

ClaudiaNaughton Sat 08-Nov-14 19:42:17

I vacuum first and then use the most wonderful Bona floor mop. They have one for wood floors and one for kitchen tiles. Amazon or Lakeland. Really excellent and fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now