Talk

Advanced search

Will a lakeland heated airer work in my cold conservatory?

(9 Posts)
booksandwool Tue 04-Nov-14 07:59:23

Or will it just gobble power without drying anything, fill the space with ugliness, and give me terminal condensation? I'm secretly hoping you'll tell me it works brilliantly and will heat the conservatory a bit too.
I've been given some money which I've earmarked for a drying solution and am trying to choose between this and a tumble drier.

goodasitgets Tue 04-Nov-14 08:14:27

I love mine, but always have a sheet draped over it to help it dry faster. When it's been on, I do notice the warmth in the room

chemenger Tue 04-Nov-14 08:19:10

If you don't ventilate you will have condensation, the water has to go somewhere. I would say the heated dryer with a window open and the door to the rest of the house closed would be fine, but it won't heat up the conservatory. I am a big fan of dehumidifiers for drying stuff and warming rooms at the same time.

booksandwool Tue 04-Nov-14 09:32:09

Mmmmm - thank you both. I don't really have space for it in the house, and I suppose I could open a conservatory window if it's going to be too cold to use in the winter months anyway, but I do worry about the waste of the heat! Will keep pondering...

goodasitgets Tue 04-Nov-14 09:36:16

If it helps I've had no noticeable different in my electric bill since I started using it. I do move things about to help them dry, use a sheet over and switch it off when not needed. I'm only washing for me though so not sure how it would do if it's for a family

Pufflemum Tue 04-Nov-14 09:39:26

I've got both and use the tumble drier much more. I only use the Lakeland drier for woollens and things that can't go in the tumble. It's probably ok if you don't do much washing but if you do at least a load a day it's too time consuming as you can't get a full load of washing on it (if you have a reasonably large capacity washing machine).

booksandwool Tue 04-Nov-14 16:13:10

Right, thank you all, I think it's back to the drawing board - we have a lot of washing here, not a load a day but at least one every two days, doesn't always get hung out straight away, but I can't be doing with having a heated rack and another one on the go at the same time and moving things around between them (also I think I read a review somewhere that said you have to rearrange the clothes as they dry to make sure the wet bits are touching the hot bars). Perhaps I need to look at a tumble drier for things that circulate fast, and a rack for slower items that I can do without for a little while.

lavendersun Tue 04-Nov-14 20:09:02

I don't heat my conservatory but it still gets warm enough to dry my laundry in there (west facing). I have one of these that I use which fits a big load of washing plus another three tier ordinary one if I need it. I leave a window slightly open otherwise it smells musty.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031S9AC2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A load dries in just over a day, a day if the sun is out. I put towels, linen etc., in my tumble drier.

I also have a couple of these things:

www.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-81413-Universal-Laundry-Quartett/dp/B004KAAOZM/ref=pd_sim_kh_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=17H9HZCCHZVWWSQ27QC0

that I use in rooms that aren't used much.

I have looked at the heated airers but hate the thought of another gadget tbh.

erin99 Tue 04-Nov-14 21:16:05

It might work, but after years resisting tumble dryers I caved last year and it is several times better than the heated airer. I think we made the wrong choice to get a heated airer in the first place. We should have gone straight for the tumble dryer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now