Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Induction hob help needed!

(5 Posts)
marmaladegranny Mon 03-Nov-14 19:33:15

I recently moved into a house that has an induction hob fitted and am finding it's not all it was cracked up to be - or is it user error??
My pans are the right type and trial and error has taught me to use the right size pan for each ring.

Today I tried to make an omelette - it was a disaster! My method in the past has been to heat the pan hot (struggled to get it hot enough even on full) then pour in egg and tip the pan as the egg sets so uncooked egg runs onto hot pan iyswim! Result was each time I tipped the pan the hob switched off and the final result was an unappealing, pale omelette.

How do you clever people make a decent omelette on an induction hob? Any other tips on use of this hob would be appreciated!

TIA

SweepTheHalls Mon 03-Nov-14 19:43:26

Have you checked your pans are all steel/iron? Other than that or a fault, I can't see any reason why you would have these problematic, induction jobs should be much faster than other methods

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 03-Nov-14 19:47:12

It sounds like the pan isn't quite compatible. Its sort of making intermittent contact so getting some heat but not fully heating.

I'm on my third induction, i like them. The only time I've had similar was with my first and I went out and brought some new pans - problem solved.

marmaladegranny Mon 03-Nov-14 20:14:45

Thanks Sweep and Misfor for your suggestions - I had wondered about the pan but I bought new ones from John Lewis and they state they are compatible with an induction hob. Would I have this problem if the base of the frying pan was not completely flat?

Chottie Tue 04-Nov-14 03:47:50

If your pan is ok, I would recommend buying one of those thick plastic type no scratch spatulas which you can use on non stick pans.

Leave the pan on the hob and whizz the omelette contents around several times to ensure it cooks. When the omelette mix starts to thicken, add the filling, cook a little bit more to heat through and then slide the omelette on to a plate, folding it over as you go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now