Talk

Advanced search

How to clean a vacuum cleaner?

(6 Posts)
nifaitniafaire Mon 03-Nov-14 17:33:26

My vacuum is quite old now, it's a dyson with no bag and it struck me the other day when I was emptying it that it was pretty mucky.

I get it, it's not supposed to be clean as itsjob is to collect dust but the other day I (probably stupidly but it's a long story) hoovered the patio, which had lots if moss and some earth and so now it's really grotty!

Can I save this or did I just make a stupid mistake?

PigletJohn Mon 03-Nov-14 19:21:01

I don't know about Dysons, but I sometimes sponge the insides of ours with warm water and a little WUL.

Only damp where water could possibly drip into the mechanism. Parts that can be dismantled (including hose and tubes) can be washed in the sink and stood up to dry thoroughly before reassembly.

Any removable filters, wash or replace with new. Nooks and crannies in the plastic, a half-inch paintbrush with warm water and WUL, and sponge away the dirty foam.

addictedtosugar Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:03

Piglet what is WUL?

Take all the filters out, and wash. Make sure they are totally dry before putting back in.
We also rinse the plastic bucket occasionally. Again, make sure it is completely dry before putting back together.

EmGee Mon 03-Nov-14 20:51:24

washing up liquid

Optimist1 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:08:57

I've always enjoyed an occasional clean of the vacuum cleaner, and now I have my first Dyson I'm enjoying it even more (because it comes apart and re-assembles so well). I dismantle as much of the cleaning head as I can, and wash the all-plastic parts in hot water with washing up liquid in, giving then a scrub with an old nailbrush and old toothbrush where necessary. Any parts containing metal I don't submerge in the water, but use a cloth and the brushes, then immediately dry. Leave all the parts out to dry for a while, then re-assemble. It's a few months since I've done mine ... now on next week's to-do list!

nifaitniafaire Tue 04-Nov-14 10:15:46

Cool, I'll try that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now