Talk

Advanced search

Dining chairs. Please find me some!

(8 Posts)
Theas18 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:57:28

Have zero interest in this at the moment ( mums ill csnt think beyond that) but in laws very kindly would like to buy us a set of dining chairs for our 25th (we currently have a motley set of hand me downs that you have to tap back together regularly!)

We have great grandmas g plan dining table ( mid wood colour- is it teak/ mahogany it's a rounded rectangle that extends 1960s classic design. Chairs went to another family member - how silly!

Anyway seeking similar hue chairs that are practical, elegant and most important a comfy sit! Proper ŵood etc

I would love some ercol- found some nice ones in the ercol eBay outlet but blonde wood / cream seat pads so not good!

Not quite money no object but not ikea please!

Anyone recommend anything?

agoodbook Sun 02-Nov-14 23:06:20

I love my Ercol - is it worth looking at second hand and reconditioning? - though the covers and pads cost a fortune - was aghast at how much it would cost when I looked - I've had mine for 35 years and 1 chair pad was more than I paid per chair smile ) On another idea- John Lewis have some nice traditional dining chairs - good hunting

ouryve Sun 02-Nov-14 23:24:52

It would be worth looking out on gumtree etc for g-plan chairs. Ercol tends to be cooler toned wood and modern g-plan is made to a much lower specification and tends to be bright orange, in comparison to the older stuff.

Nathan furniture is worth a look, too - comes in a similar style to gplan without quite the ercol prices.

M&S sell ercol chairs and they go into the 20% off offers when they have them. They also have a few styles of their own which are similar, but about half the price.

Laura Ashley Garratt is worth a look. The honey is quite warm. The chestnut is much darker, but also warm toned.
mto.lauraashley.com/uk/furniture/p/garrat-honey-dining-chairs-pair

ladybird69 Sun 02-Nov-14 23:39:09

My local heart foundation shop is full of beautiful nathan and ercol furniture sets. Maybe try nearly new shops.

Theas18 Sat 27-Dec-14 16:44:48

Update..
We went to the ercol outlet and now have lovely furniture - sideboard. Table and 5 chairs. At about half price.

It's gorgeous!

Violetta999 Sat 27-Dec-14 19:28:18

Eiffel on amazon or ebay. They are based on an original retro chair

Violetta999 Sat 27-Dec-14 19:28:35

Well done op

Sandthorn Sat 27-Dec-14 22:13:39

Sounds like a good choice. Enjoy your lovely chairs (what a great gift!) and I hope your mum is better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now