Talk

Advanced search

Aaaaah, my DP is getting me a Kitchenaid as a birthday present, but I hate the colour he is looking at :(

(16 Posts)
NewEraNewMindset Sun 02-Nov-14 06:45:12

I accidentally saw one that he had put a 'Best Offer' on, on eBay, so not just browsed at, bid on, and I don't like the colour sad

I know this is totally a first world problem, but we are having a new kitchen put in next year and whilst watching the GBBO I was remarking on the fact that I planned to buy one once the new kitchen is completed and was excited about it.

He has (very sweetly and generously) decided to buy one for me as part of my 40th birthday present. He was with me by the computer as I scrolled down past it as I had just bought a small item for my son using his account, so he knows I saw it but must be hoping I didn't twig.

Question is; do I tell him I saw and give me the opportunity to guide him to a colour I really want. Or do I keep the pretence up that I didn't see anything and be jolly grateful with whatever he chooses because he had such good intentions and is lovely.

Btw don't think in going to have the opportunity to swap it or anything a he doesn't seem to make purchases from shops like John Lewis for some reason.

socially Sun 02-Nov-14 06:48:02

Just tell him!

But try not to sound spoiled. Be nice about it smile

NewEraNewMindset Sun 02-Nov-14 06:49:52

But then I've ruined the surprise sad

I can assure you I am not in the least bit spoilt. I think he has done it as I bought him something he has coveted for years and was very expensive for his birthday and he obviously feels a though he has to do similar (he doesn't!).

ShowMeShowMeTheWine Sun 02-Nov-14 06:51:31

A ruined surprise or a kitchen aid that makes you angry or confused every time you look at it because you didn't say anything?
I know what I'd prefer.

UnwittingAccomplice Sun 02-Nov-14 06:52:48

If he's put an offer on eBay you can still sometimes return it. It depends if it's a business seller or personal.

But anyway, you won't spoil the surprise if you act as you would have when you got it. Better to have the colour conversation I think in time for him to withdraw the eBay offer.

PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Sun 02-Nov-14 07:07:21

I'd just start discussing colour options for the kitchen, maybe mention having contrasting micro/kettle/ toaster in X colour.. How cool would that be?! grinwink

NewEraNewMindset Sun 02-Nov-14 07:51:56

I don't even know what colour I would like either really as I was going to wait until it was done and have an indulgent think about it.

I had asked for an eternity ring, and to be honest that's all I wanted. Something special to put on my finger. We are contemplating fertility treatment in the new year as we are having HUGE problems with conceiving our second child. Probably if I'm honest I want to tell him is rather the money was put towards IUI instead of a kitchen utensil.

MrsHathaway Sun 02-Nov-14 07:55:43

Tell him. You'll know if you could subtly say "lolz there was a green KitchenAid in the paper this morning - so ugly! Isn't it odd how they do some lovely ones and some horrors!" or whether a direct approach would be better.

Hazchem Sun 02-Nov-14 07:56:25

A Kitchen Aid is likely to last in the region of 25-30 years! that is a long time of looking at it thinking oh don't like the colour.

Vanillepudding Sun 02-Nov-14 08:17:38

Tell him. This nice bit of kit lives on show at all times and HAS to be in a colour you like.
I so want a black one <sniff>

Iheartautumn Sun 02-Nov-14 08:22:23

Look at them on the computer a go like ' oh i love that blue one its so pretty'
Worth a trygrin

RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 08:23:13

I would just bring it up in general and say oh I yhink I'll get it in X or Y colour when the kitchen is done, I've had a look and I really don't like it in green/blue/whatever colour he has picked.

Marylou2 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:46:19

There are white ones in Costco at the moment for less than £300. Fantastic value.Unless white is in fact the colour you dislike. What colour is it that you want? (nosey) Just tell him!

Marylou2 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:49:13

Sorry I didn't read your last post. Good luck with your fertility treatment.Definitely more important than a mixer.

Hubb Sun 02-Nov-14 09:11:09

You must tell him! He will appreciate the honesty...even though you feel like you are ruining the surprise, the surprise is already ruined as you accidently saw it anyway.

And tell him at The same time you would rather wait to buy one and put the money towards fertility treatment...I'm sure he will understand. Lovely idea of his though smile

Mumstudentbum Wed 05-Nov-14 13:11:28

Thing is if you don't tell him but he guesses you don't like it he's only going to think 'I wish she'd of told me sooner then I could of returned it and got her a bloody xxx one!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now