Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

should I take it all to the charity shop?!!

(17 Posts)
inconceivableme Wed 29-Oct-14 09:01:56

I have a day off work and child fre and a bit of decluttering is on my list. My wardrobe and drawers are bursting! I have way too many shoes and coats too. Some shoes and clorhes are barely worn. I've had zero luck listing on local selling pages and FB groups. I end up buying plenty on them but my unwanted stuff doesn't shift. Maybe it's overpriced or maybe it's just that no-one wants it. The odd item has had interest but has never been actually collected. I can't even contemplate ebaying it!

Would I be unreasonable to take it all to the charity shop or clothes bank?

Am newly pregnant with #2 and still have some stuff from before 2 year old DC#1 that I've not worn since they were born. Have lost baby weight but my shape has just changed, forever?! Realistically I'm not going to wear it for another 2 years. Also, my lifestyle has changed and so have fashions, though the latter is less important. I want to start afresh in a way, with a much simplified wardrobe. Just thinking out loud and talking myself into a major declutter really. Am I on the right track? Help!

Riverland Wed 29-Oct-14 09:03:58

Take it to the charity shop, yes!

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 29-Oct-14 09:05:52

If you want it out of your house and you don't need the money from selling it (which is often quite a small amount of money for quite a lot of hassle) then I'd say get it to the charity shop asap. Otherwise you'll have bags of stuff hanging around...

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Wed 29-Oct-14 09:07:00

Sounds like you have mentally parted with it already.

Just do it. You won't miss it.

I had to have a major clear out when we moved and haven't missed any of it. I think it's time I had another go actually. Clutter is depressing.

Squeakyheart Wed 29-Oct-14 09:07:44

Take to the charity shop but please do it when it's open my DSSis works at one and people leave stuff outside at night that they then legally have to dispose of as it's fly tipping and this costs their charity money!

happystory Wed 29-Oct-14 09:08:30

First though have a think if you have a friend or family member who could use anything. Coats and shoes can be quite expensive and people are having tough times at the moment.

carlsonrichards Wed 29-Oct-14 09:09:54

Charity shop it.

msfreud Wed 29-Oct-14 10:06:32

I gave 7 black bags full of clothes and shoes to charity earlier this year before moving house and never felt better. Do it.

PatricianOfAnkhMorpork Wed 29-Oct-14 10:25:34

If you are in London then you might want to take a look at The Circle Charity who are always looking for donations of smart casual/workwear as they help women into jobs/apprenticeships.

I'm sure there are other similar charities out there in other parts of the country if you do a bit of googling.

EldonAve Wed 29-Oct-14 10:27:14

Charity Shop but make sure you fill out the gift aid form

larryphilanddave Wed 29-Oct-14 12:15:38

Go for it.

I did something similar after having DC1. Got rid of so much - almost all of my stuff went! I had some money saved and shopped mainly in the sales/eBay, but only items I really liked and that fit and suited me well. Made a huge difference to my wardrobe - much more streamlined, I wear all of the items, all nice clothes and shoes, all make me feel comfortable too. I went for classics (ie classics for me, styles and colours I have always liked) for longevity.

I think I went from 20-odd tops to 10 tops, 40+ shoes and boots to 6 pairs, etc. Quality always better than quantity wink

Selling clothes on to others is a relatively new phenomenon and nothing is 'lost' by not making money on clothes you are trying to shift. The money was 'lost' years back! Donating is a good thing and you will feel good too by not having lots you don't use and having things that you do want to wear.

inconceivableme Wed 29-Oct-14 12:50:34

Thanks for the encouragement! 3 bags ready for charity shop and more to go. Got a small pile of nicer things to try on eBay too.

MILLYmo0se Wed 29-Oct-14 20:15:48

Yes ! get rid, will do woners for your mental state ,nevermind the physical space it creates

Samantha9136 Wed 29-Oct-14 21:45:34

Take some to the cash for clothes places - you won't feel so guilty for getting rid & can save the money for something nice for your new little one. Good luck

Diryan Thu 30-Oct-14 07:37:01

If you donate it through Clothes for Charity they'll come & pick it up for you, and you get to choose the charity which benefits.

PerpendicularKitten Thu 30-Oct-14 09:43:43

As for the pile of nice stuff, do you have a second hand clothes shop near you that sells stuff on for you? It gets the stuff out of the house, you get 50% of the sale usually which is not a huge amount but its better than 99p on ebay.

hooker29 Fri 31-Oct-14 21:56:54

We redecorated DC's bedrooms last week and took 5 black bags to the charity shop.I did think about selling some of it but I really can't be bothered with the agro and just wanted rid.One item was a lovely wooden dolls house,hardly used, with all the goodies and DD actually said to take it to the charity shop so that another little girl could play with it.Bless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now