Talk

Advanced search

I've just walked in to find a slug party in my kitchen 😰

(16 Posts)
douchbag Sat 25-Oct-14 21:21:29

I know lots of threads have been done about this problem but why have they come out so early?! The kids have enjoyed pouring salt over them but just eugh confused

douchbag Sat 25-Oct-14 21:23:53

One has just popped! We heard it in the living room. Slug insides splattered everywhere shock kids think it's amazing!

JamForTea Sat 25-Oct-14 21:26:49

Bit cruel letting your kids pour salt on them. IMO.

TerryDolittle Sat 25-Oct-14 21:32:04

Eww, slugs are pretty gross. But I would have thought causing them to explode would be more gross! shock

douchbag Sat 25-Oct-14 21:34:19

Yes it's quite gross

26Point2Miles Sat 25-Oct-14 21:50:57

God, no need for that is there?

PigletJohn Sat 25-Oct-14 23:56:16

You have a damp problem.

Is it in the kitchen? Perhaps there is a sink leak. Clear all airbricks so there is a good flow of drying air.

If they are getting in through cracks and holes in the wall, mend them, and meanwhile scatter slug pellets outside (it will take a couple of weeks to gradually reduce the garden population). You can also scatter pellets indoors. If you put them under the kitchen units (same as for mouse and ant bait) they will be out of reach of children and pets more than six inches tall. If they are coming up through the floor, put pellets between the boards and down any gaps or holes e.g. round pipes.

If you cure the damp, the slugs will go.

pippahooper Sun 26-Oct-14 03:51:51

Why are you letting your kids pour salt on slugs for?

Norfolkandchance1234 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:52:40

I had a major slug issue I put down salt and egg shells and they kept coming back. The final straw was at 3 am one morning I woke up to get a drink of water and there were around 20 of them crawling around. I was nearly sick trying to salt them and collect the mush in kitchen paper. My DM promptly came over with a pot of mini green slug pellets and they all disappeared. I also put a light on a timer as the slugs only like the dark apparently. The slugs did return recently but I realised the pellets has worn out so replaced them and slugs have stayed away.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Mon 10-Nov-14 10:03:52

I am pretty sure slugs get in through the airbricks in my house (they are low in the wall).

Why are people salting them before chucking them out though? Cruel and unnecessary imo. Just scoop them up and chuck them out the window.

OddBoots Mon 10-Nov-14 10:05:34

Why salt them? Just put them on the bird table.

Lovemcgarrett Mon 10-Nov-14 10:06:20

Eurgh I pulled back the tv unit to find slug trails everywhere! I thought getting them in the kitchen was bad enough! I just put I a line of salt behind the dishwasher where they come in. Our worst is wood lice - bloody everywhere! They creep me out!

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 10:26:24

Wood lice eat the fungus off rotting wood, and can only lay their eggs in damp places.

You have a damp problem.

Solve that and your slugs and woodlice will go.

Lovemcgarrett Mon 10-Nov-14 11:36:50

Thanks piglet john - unfortunately it's rented and my landlady thinks that damp is due to me not ventilating the property properly (windows open at least an hour a day, tumble dry clothes and have dehumidifier. Unfortunately I can't use o25% of the kitchen cabinets and they get mouldy within days

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 11:46:16

Look for water leaks especially under the sink and radiators.

Look at the outside of the wall for earth piled up above the damp course, or paving.

Look outside for signs of leaking pipes or overspilling gutters

Buy some slug pellets

Move.

Lovemcgarrett Mon 10-Nov-14 11:48:53

Thank you pigletjohn! Will look at those top four as the bottom currently isn't an option!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now