Talk

Advanced search

washer dryers - any good?

(17 Posts)
mistymeanour Wed 03-Sep-14 12:41:28

The house I moved to 2 years ago has integrated appliances in the kitchen - only a washing machine (no seperate dryer and no room for one). I really miss having a dryer for sheets and towels. The washing machine is 4 years old and has started making horrendous noises - so probably time for a replacement. Are washer dryers in one unit any good?

Many thanks

e1y1 Wed 03-Sep-14 18:19:18

General consensus is no, they're not that good. However, it is brand dependant. Some owners on here said theirs are great, and others said theirs are rubbish.

I can't give any first hand advice, as I have never owned one.

However, when I was a kid, I remember my Mum having at least 2 or 3 (maybe more) washer dryers, and I can remember the dryer ALWAYS breaking on them; on all of them too :/

This would have been around 20 years ago though, so technology will have changed since then.

MirandaWest Wed 03-Sep-14 18:21:19

There's a washer dryer here (rented house). You can't dry a whole load - I dry a few things if necessary but I think it would take longer than a separate dryer (never had one of those). Also smaller than separate dryer.

MirandaWest Wed 03-Sep-14 18:21:48

I have been here over 4 years and no issues with it though.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 03-Sep-14 18:21:50

My Zanussi one is pants. It takes 3-4 hours to dry one medium sized load.

starving Wed 03-Sep-14 21:22:54

I have an AEG washer dryer. Had it nearly 5 years and before it had a Bosch for over 13 years. Love it for drying towels, they go nice and fluffy. I think if I dried more clothes that way then I would need a separate dryer but just towels & very occasionally sheets works well.

DefiniteMaybe Wed 03-Sep-14 21:25:09

I have got a hotpoint washer dryer and it is useless.
It doesn't dry clothes it cooks them. Everything shrunk and smelt vile, I think I lasted a week before I went and bought a separate dryer.

Sapat Wed 03-Sep-14 21:38:47

I bought one when we lived in a flat. Was told they would live about 3 years, it is about 9 years old now and still not dead. However, as a washing machine it is meh, and as a dryer it is rubbish. It only dries half a load and takes hours. It cooks the clothes rather than drying them, and you still need to hang the clothes to get the residual moisture out. I don't use it much and once we moved into a house we bought a dryer, which worked beautifully until it suddenly died after 2 years. Was a bit gutted, so never replaced it. But with 3 kids and colder months ahead I may well bite the bullet....

bluewisteria Wed 03-Sep-14 21:48:08

Check out 'Which' reviews - I seem to remember there are some great ones. I considered it, but then found space for a dryer, by taking out a standard cupboard that I didn't need so much.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 04-Sep-14 03:33:13

I have an AEG one and it's ok. It's 5 years old and better than having no dryer. It can't take a full load of washing. So I take out some stuff to hang and dry the bulky things. I do have large conservatory for hanging clothes though. Only use the dryer in winter for sheets and towels as nothing dries quick enough even when hung.

TropicalHorse Thu 04-Sep-14 04:47:40

I have a Miele one which I inherited from MIL. She claimed the dryer function "never worked" and would cost a fortune to fix, but when I had the bloke out for something else he had a look and said there was a belt off and since then it's worked! (Tells you rather a lot about my MIL, that)
It works quite well as a washer, although I never know how you judge these things. Does anyone ever get their clothes out of a new washing machine and exclaim "oh, they're so much cleaner!"
As others have said, drying capacity is v small and v time consuming so I only use it during monsoons.

mistymeanour Thu 04-Sep-14 08:45:09

Thank you everyone. I had a washer dryer about 15 years ago and it was awful - cooked clothes etc just as some have described. I was hoping they had improved. I can't afford Miele - I had Miele appliances in our last house as it was supposed to be a long term home but the recession put paid to that and the buyer asked us to leave them (unsurprisingly)Hmm - will look at AEG's.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Thu 04-Sep-14 11:32:33

Mine is spectacularly useless, actually drys nothing. Can put a pillow case in for half an hour by itself and it's just as wet as it went in, completely useless. It's a zanussi

adevasher Sun 14-Dec-14 15:33:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Missingsleepandthecat Sun 14-Dec-14 23:21:02

DS2 had an Indesit washer dryer, it wasn't too bad at drying but lasted 18 months leaving him and myself (since I bought him it) with a bitter taste towards them

CakeSnow Tue 16-Dec-14 00:58:47

I bought my Bosch washer dryer in the sales 7 years ago and it still works perfectly. I dry outside on the line in the summer to give the dryer a break.

CarCiKoTab Tue 16-Dec-14 01:35:44

I have a Candy Evo washer dryer it's pretty good as it does dry but you can't beat a separate I'm debating whether to get a separate dryer or a dishwasher atm. It takes longer in a washer dryer, things are more likely to crease and shrink which you get used to by making allowances for that. I have 4 children and we get on fine but, I have never had a separate dryer personally but my mum and sister have and it's amazing how much you can get done in one day! I think in your circumstance though washer dryer will be the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now