Talk

Advanced search

What tog duvet would you put on a 4 year olds bed?

(14 Posts)
SneezySnuffaroo Thu 21-Aug-14 19:38:09

I'm going to replace the duvet on DS's bed but I'm not really sure what tog I should be getting. He's 4 and a half, and in a double bed. He likes to really wrap himself up in it so maybe I should be going for a lower tog so he doesn't overheat? We often go in to check him and have to gently unravel him! Any suggestions? Thanks.

atticusclaw Thu 21-Aug-14 19:42:18

At that age he'll just kick it off if he gets hot won't he?

DS2 is just seven but has had a high tog double quilt on his bed for years, since he was about 3. he kicks it off if he gets hot.

thatwhichwecallarose Thu 21-Aug-14 19:50:14

Dd (3.5) has a 4 tog and she's never been too cold yet. I wouldn't go above a 10 for her though.

foxybingodotcom Thu 21-Aug-14 19:54:50

probably about 4.5

DoItTooJulia Thu 21-Aug-14 19:58:11

Buy a lower tog and buy a big blanket/quilt for the top on colder days?

addictedtosugar Thu 21-Aug-14 19:58:16

DS1 (5.5) has a 4.5tog single on a single bed. He doesn't kick it off if hes too hot. When it was hot here, I had to wait for him to drop off, and then go and take the duvet off him, and put a sheet over him, or he would be sweating buckets and have a sodden pillow when I went to bed.

I have got him a 10tog for the winter, but having seen him this summer, I don't think he'll need it.

Since were coming towards autumn, might there be some 4.5 tog duvets being sold off in the sales, so you could get a cheep one?

SneezySnuffaroo Thu 21-Aug-14 20:14:16

Okay, I'll go 4.5 tog and he already has a big blanket for colder nights.

He has autism so I think he likes the feeling of being cocooned in it, and he wouldn't kick it off. It took a lot of persuasion to swap the current duvet for an empty duvet cover when the weather was really hot! Thanks all.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 21-Aug-14 20:15:43

4 tog, then add a fleecy blanket if needed.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 22-Aug-14 13:41:30

the maximum recommended tog for a single bed for a child is 10.5tog. My 2 have a 4.5tog for summer and a 10.5tog for winter (and so do dh and I)

JuniperTisane Fri 22-Aug-14 13:44:20

DS1 is going into a single bed in the next couple of weeks, he's nearly 4. I've bought a 10.5tog for now because his room gets very very cold in the winter due to a sloping roof and no insulation there. I'm planning to get a lighter 4tog wool duvet for next spring.

ellieclarke1 Fri 03-Oct-14 14:14:44

I do the same JuniperTisane - heavier one for winter and lighter for summer. I picked my winter duvets up online from www.thebeddingcompany.co.uk - if you're still on the lookout. I personally like a lightweight all year round (even if its snowing outside I still get too hot lol )

JsOtherHalf Fri 03-Oct-14 21:18:25

You could consider a weighted blanket for him?
www.togs4specialsprogs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64

I use a 4.5 tog on ds, with a fleecy blanket on top if needed.

DarylDixonsDarlin Sun 05-Oct-14 11:25:15

I use 4.5tog for all the DC, for the simple reason it fits in the machine for washing, anything bigger id need to take to the launderette, which costs same as a new one!

TheNumberfaker Sun 05-Oct-14 11:36:06

We have 4.5 for most of the year, 9 for when it's really cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now