Talk

Advanced search

Help needed - leather sofa

(7 Posts)
buktus Wed 30-Aug-06 21:32:07

can anyone help my black leather sofa is covered in small white spots (it looks just like some has been painting with a roller over it and splashed it but no one has) i have washed it so many times and i cant seem to get them off and when i do they reappear does any one have any tips

Alibaldi Wed 30-Aug-06 21:36:30

have you tried a really good leather polish on it??

buktus Wed 30-Aug-06 21:40:51

have tried a few leather polishes but after a few days they reappear might have to get a new sofa if i cant find a cure, i have even tried saddle soap, i was just wondering if anyone had the same problem

Alibaldi Wed 30-Aug-06 21:45:58

It sounds like there's something on the leather itself. Is it a new couch??

Alibaldi Wed 30-Aug-06 21:48:35

Just googled and found this - it might help. Sounds like water marks to me.
Here are some tips for you -

Spots and Spills: Blot excess liquid immediately with a clean absorbent cloth or sponge. If necessary, use clear, lukewarm water and gently wipe the spill. Dry with a clean towel and allow to air dry.

Stubborn Spots and Stains: Use a mild solution of Ivory soap and clear, lukewarm water. Apply the soap to a clean, wet sponge, then rinse well and let air dry naturally. Always try the cleaning method in a hidden area first to be sure it’s colorfast.

Butter, Oil, or Grease: Wipe excess butter, oil, or grease off the leather with a clean, dry cloth, then leave it alone as the spot should dissipate into the leather in a short period of time. Do not apply water to try to wash a butter, oil, or grease stain.

Never Use...
Saddle soap, abrasive cleansers, furniture polish oil, varnish, or ammonia water. The leather has already been permanently preserved in the tanning process and needs no maintenance other than the simple cleaning recommended.

Most liquids will be initially repelled by the leather, but if left to stand over an extended period of time, they will be absorbed. This is why it’s a good idea to wipe up spills immediately. If the spill is absorbed, it will dissipate over time, just as human skin will absorb and eventually diffuse stains.

buktus Wed 30-Aug-06 21:59:33

its 4 years old from harveys, i have cleaned it every day with just wet cloths but these specks started appearing and over the last few months it is covered it looks just like someone has been roller painting on it i might phone harveys to see if they can suggest anything thanks for the advice

robbo71 Tue 25-Nov-14 10:53:27

i too have these white specks, i wondered if it was from wiping with baby wipes, ive tried everything n looks like paints been splashed on it , some 1 even remarked on it asking had i painted n caught it but i havnt. they do come off if u scratch them off but theres too many off them. help !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now