Talk

Advanced search

Who does my fridge/ freezer smell so bad??!

(4 Posts)
PenguinBear Sun 20-Apr-14 15:37:39

We have a spare fridge/freezer in the garage and usually only store stuff in the fridge during busy periods like Christmas. I do keep stuff in the freezer for emergency dinners.

Unbeknownst to me, the blimmin thing broke. I am not sure how long ago as I can't remember the last time I went to that freezer, Atleast two weeks ago long enough for everything in the freezer to grow mould. Thank goodness it's frost free!

When I opened the door the smell was horrendous. It smells like rotting fish (we had a load of battered cod fillets in there). Even the freezer drawers were covered in mould. They all went through the dishwasher twice and are fine now. There was no mould in the actual fridge or freezer but I bleached them all anyway.

Shut all the doors and thought that was that. Opened the doors a few days later and it still smells.

I read up online so put some fresh ground coffee in both the fridge and freezer sections. I left it for about 4 days and the smell went! Put all the clean freezer drawers back in and shut the doors, the smell came back!

I have now opened both the fridge and freezer doors but all this has done is mean the whole garage now stinks too!!

What can I do? They are coming to fix it for me next week.

All tips appreciated!

Mintyy Sun 20-Apr-14 15:40:01

I'd recycle it, tbh.

PenguinBear Sun 20-Apr-14 16:07:30

It's only a year old! No way DP would let me!

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 16:42:23

if it is turned off, you must leave the doors open so it can air. Wedge them with folded paper towels or something.

Otherwise you have a sealed, damp container in which mould will grow.

BTW kitchen cleaner with bleach should clear the lingering smell, and will also kill mould and mildew.

Pull it away from the wall and clean out the dish where the melt water drips. It will be mouldy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now