Talk

Advanced search

You know that smell on pillowcases and shirt collars?

(24 Posts)
ShippingForecast Sat 19-Apr-14 08:40:24

It's driving me potty, I can't get it out of the pillowcases. Have tried hot washes and bio powder but it's still there.

Don't really want to have to chuck the whole lot out - any miracle solutions? Please?!

lostblonde86 Sat 19-Apr-14 08:49:28

Always add white vinegar to my cotton wash shirts, bedding come out much fresher and I now really notice the difference if I run out.

ShippingForecast Sat 19-Apr-14 09:07:13

Thanks Lost. Do you put the vinegar in at the beginning of the wash?

mousmous Sat 19-Apr-14 09:12:09

is you washer in need of a maintainance wash?
can you line dry?
agree to the vinegar, don't worry, the smell goes awaywhen drying.
you can also use nappisan (but it bleaches colours) or a liquid desinfectant.

mousmous Sat 19-Apr-14 09:13:30

vinegar in the softener compartment.

ShippingForecast Sat 19-Apr-14 09:50:06

Thanks - the washing machine does get smelly from time to time but I try and keep on top of it with washing machine cleaner sachets and hot washes.

I do line dry when weather allows, it helps but the smell is still there.

I've tried vinegar before, again it helps a bit but doesn't get rid, so I wondered if I was doing it right. I put it in the conditioner drawer, but actually that's a bit faulty and doesn't always suck the stuff out properly despite attempts to clean the unit (I stopped using conditioner for that reason).

I might try pre-soaking in vinegar, would that work? Also Nappisan's worth a go, haven't ever tried that.

Does Biotex still exist? I used to use that for things like this, but it doesn't seem to be around any more.

I just HATE that smell so much grin DH reckons he can't smell it, so maybe it's me hmm

ilovepowerhoop Sat 19-Apr-14 09:52:57

have you cleaned the roof of the bit the drawer fits into as if the holes are blocked the water will not flow through the drawer properly? I use zoflora in the fabric softener bit of the machine to make clothes smell really fresh

RudyMentary Sat 19-Apr-14 09:53:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

upupupandaway Sat 19-Apr-14 10:08:34

Yes I know that smell! I sometimes rub green washing soap on my son's collars before putting them on the machine. Could you use a hotter wash?

ShippingForecast Sat 19-Apr-14 10:24:18

ooh I'd never heard of green washing soap so had to google it - another MN wonder product that I'm going to have to buy now wink

The conditioner bit of my machine is particularly badly designed - when I try to clean those mouldy holes at the top of the conditioner roof I mainly just end up poking the mould in further as that bit doesn't slide out. Grr.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 19-Apr-14 10:35:55

what doesnt slide out? I use bleach spray and an old toothbrush for cleaning the roof bit

upupupandaway Sat 19-Apr-14 10:39:14

Give the drawer a gentle tug, it will come out so you can give it a good scrub in the sink. Clean all around the space where the draw sits, you'll find every kind of nastiness in there. Also pull the filter out and see if there is anything lurking in there. My friend complained her washer wasn't working very well so I told her to clean the filter " Filter?" she replied,;she'd had the machine foe years.

bamboostalks Sat 19-Apr-14 10:41:03

You can take it out and put it in dishwasher.

ShippingForecast Sat 19-Apr-14 11:22:22

Thanks all. I can get the drawer out, it's just the 'roof' bit that doesn't slide out. It does get horribly black up there as there's loads of tiny holes for the water to come through. Whilst I can clean the surface of it, the cleaning process pushes the gunk back into the holes (not all of it obviously, but it doesn't ever feel like it's gone iyswim, and the holes block up again fairly quickly).

I do clear out the filter from time to time and there never seems to be much there - maybe it's all lurking somewhere further back, eek.

upupupandaway Sat 19-Apr-14 11:46:14

Try putting the machine on a boil wash and use proper powder/tablets. You can run it empty or put tea towels and dishcloths in, This will clean the machine. I have found liquid detergent gunks up my machine so I always use tablets now and results are better.

FastWindow Sat 19-Apr-14 11:50:33

I've started using dettol laundry cleaner in the conditioner drawer. It's ace, and you can wash at a lower temp and still know that it's hygienically clean. Smells great. Plus you don't use so much conditioner.

ilovepowerhoop Sat 19-Apr-14 11:52:16

zoflora does the same job as the dettol laundry cleanser but at a fraction of the price

BetterWithCheese Sat 19-Apr-14 12:01:02

Those who add zoflora, vinegar etc., do you also add conditioner?

ilovepowerhoop Sat 19-Apr-14 12:58:47

I do add conditioner as well as zoflora

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 00:21:03

if it is grease from the skin or hair on the pillowcases and shirt collars, use washing soda crystals next time you wash them. You can use it with washing powder, but not with vinegar which neutralises it.

If you do not usually do maintenance washes on your machine, give it am empty hot hot hot wash with no soap or fabsoft, and add a cup of soda. If the water foams up and goes grey, that is the old sludge dissolving. Do it again until it stays clear. You can put in white cotton towels and flannels if you have them as they will withstand the heat and not fade.

PigletJohn Sun 20-Apr-14 00:25:55

p.s.

if you put your powder in the tub through the door, instead of in the drawer, you will get less sludge and mildew in the drawer and its aperture.

Kitchen spray cleaner with bleach is good for killing the black mould/mildew. Once it is dead and dry it cleans off easier with a toothbrush. Leaving the drawer and drawer slightly open will let it dry out and reduce mould growth. You do need to clean the grooves in the rubber door seal too.

ShippingForecast Mon 21-Apr-14 11:27:47

Thanks again all. I've bought powder tablets to replace the conc liquid detergent, and will have a go with the washing soda stuff.

Does anyone know, how is washing soda different from normal detergent that you get in washing powder? Is it just stronger?

PigletJohn Mon 21-Apr-14 14:12:16

Washing soda is not a detergent. It is alkaline so it breaks down grease, and it has a softening effect on the water. It is very good for dissolving soap, so it helps remove old soap sludge, and it also can make your washing powder more effective if a little is added to an ordinary wash.

Some people say it makes whites wash whiter. I don't know why, unless they had residue of old soap in them, as you might find with hard water.

ShippingForecast Mon 21-Apr-14 14:53:05

Thanks PigletJohn, I'm keen to try it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now