Talk

Advanced search

What company does good bedding these days?

(38 Posts)
EugenesAxe Mon 14-Apr-14 13:43:39

I have a nice problem... we are buying a new (bigger) bed, so I have to buy a load of bedding for it.

I will probably get a 'name' for the covers but just buy basic sheets and protectors. I heard White Company sheets are not great quality - have you had a 'wow these are good!' moment with any other company? I think our current sheets are John Lewis and I find them OK, so would be happy to go back there, I just wondered if anyone had any strong feelings either way!

Incidentally - if there are any nice designers of bedding you'd like to advise me of for our duvet covers, please do! At the moment I'm tempted by these two sets:

Seasalt daffodils

Orla K tiny stem - not sure if this is too boring. Her giant abacus design is great but might be too trendy for our bedroom.

homeaway Mon 14-Apr-14 14:59:51

I have seen the king of cotton mentioned here , they have a high thread count and look very nice to me smile

petitdonkey Mon 14-Apr-14 15:05:14

I love White Company linen and don't use any sheets other than white ones. I have two sets of the belvedere - it is horribly expensive but I have had it for five years now and it just gets better with age and I have no reason to replace it yet.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Mon 14-Apr-14 15:13:50

Bought some new bedding from Toast (in the sales!). It's bloody lovely!! Really great quality cotton, very thick and luxurious, it's my new favourite.

I've always bought white company in the past but find their stuff a bit bleugh now. Quality has definitely deteriorated in last 10 years.

EugenesAxe Mon 14-Apr-14 16:15:44

Thanks everyone - will check them out.

samsam123 Mon 14-Apr-14 20:21:50

try Soak and Sleep on the web I bought one pillow and went back for 2 sets of bedding they are great highly recommend

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 14-Apr-14 20:23:51

Duvet and Pillow warehouse. I bought some cracking sheets just after Christmas for something stupid like a fiver each.

dannydyerismydad Mon 14-Apr-14 20:30:47

Sanderson sheets are lovely. I literally slide into bed every night.

You can often pick them up reasonably at sale time.

sittingatmydeskagain Mon 14-Apr-14 20:35:43

My White Company sheets are my favourites - lasted far longer than John Lewis etc.

RandomMess Mon 14-Apr-14 20:37:48

Duvet and pillow warehouse have changed their name to soak & sleep, bought my silk duvets from there - amazing and worth every £

Callmecordelia Tue 15-Apr-14 08:21:03

I followed a tip oon here about House of Fraser Hotel Collection sheets. They usually reduce them by over 50% in the sales. I've been impressed so far with my plain white ones.

sportyme Thu 17-Apr-14 11:46:39

I've always used www.homespacedirect.com. They have some great stuff and are very reasonably priced.

InTheMiddleOfOurStreet Thu 17-Apr-14 11:51:01

YY to soak and sleep, formerly duvet and pillow warehouse. We've had a duvet, a topper and bedding from them and it's all excellent. They have a sale on at the moment.

InTheMiddleOfOurStreet Thu 17-Apr-14 11:51:50

Or if you like a rummage tk maxx / home sense has a good selection.

JustADadHere Thu 17-Apr-14 11:52:59

If you have access to CostCo, their sheets and duvet covers are very nice, 600 thread count at half the price of John Lewis.

EugenesAxe Fri 18-Apr-14 07:28:50

A rejuvenation of advice! Thanks everyone; I'll check them all out.

gailforce1 Fri 18-Apr-14 10:07:19

Please could someone explain the thread count? To get really good quality sheets what should the thread count be?

MichaelFinnigan Fri 18-Apr-14 10:11:27

I've got 800 thread count from soak and sleep. They're lovely but v v thick. I'm finding it a bit too warm under the duvet cover and it fills the washing machine so washing that, a sheet and 4 pillow cases is at least two loads

InTheMiddleOfOurStreet Fri 18-Apr-14 12:43:45

Agreed - 800 tc is wonderful for winter but the fabric is very thick and stiff. I would recommend a high tc fitted sheet - I have an 800 and a 1000 and they are so nice to lie on, plus the fact that it's stretched over the mattress means it doesn't need to be ironed. If you are used to standard dept store bedding then 600 is a good starting point and will feel very luxurious.

celestialsquirrels Fri 18-Apr-14 12:48:03

White company is good quality but a bit dull these days

Cologne and cotton have a small collection of designs but beautiful quality. Highly recommend.

Descamps is nice. French brand. I would buy in the sales, bit expensive full price. They used to have an outlet at bicester village which was good.

celestialsquirrels Fri 18-Apr-14 12:49:49

Ooh cologne and cotton have 15% off everything this weekend

Www.cologneandcotton.com

TinyDiamond Fri 18-Apr-14 13:14:52

Tkmaxx!!! You can get amazing stuff from there for a fraction. I have a beautiful hobbs set that I have had for 8 years now and it is still great. Think I paid £30 total for it. Egyptian cotton.

I also have some lisa stickley sheets from there that are very good qual.

If I was splashing the cash I'd go to Zara home. Also worth checking out urban outfitters sale if you like bright colours they had some good stuff.

frenchfancy Fri 18-Apr-14 13:27:48

Christ makes lovely quality bedding. U buy direct. Sale on at the moment .

frenchfancy Fri 18-Apr-14 13:28:31

Christy ! Damn auto correct

gobbin Fri 18-Apr-14 18:19:30

If you have a branch of Homesense near you then have a look. Like TKMaxx they sell branded items at knock down prices.

For bog standard 200 thread count sheets you can't beat ASDA's special range (forget the name). All our bottom sheets are these.

Our top linen is all 300 thread count. You can tell the difference between polycotton and 200tc+. Like sleeping on silk. I can imagine 600+ would be heaven! Very expensive though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now