Advanced search

Do I need a plumber or an electrician?

(5 Posts)
Littleorangetree Fri 04-Apr-14 21:32:45

Hello. Bit of a daft question, but I have a pretty bog standard electric boiler for my hot water and it's not working. I think(!) it's the heating element that's gone in the hot water tank. Should I phone an electrician or a plumber to come and sort it out? (Or is there any way I could try and fix it myself??)

mummylin2495 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:40:50

My dh is an electrician and says you should call a plumber. Hth

Littleorangetree Sat 05-Apr-14 19:46:21

Thanks mummylin! :-)

MoonRover Sat 05-Apr-14 19:48:17

I'd go for a heating engineer.

Meanwhile is the pilot light on and do you have an immersion switch?

PigletJohn Sun 06-Apr-14 01:07:02

I think you are talking about a hot water cylinder that is fitted with an immersion heater. It is not a boiler or a tank.

Ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended local plumber, preferably an experienced, wrinkly one. Old immersion heaters can be very difficult to get out without damaging the cylinder, but there are tricks of the trade.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: