Advanced search

What does one do when ones oven packs in?

(15 Posts)
hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:34:11

Well, I'm nearly 40 and I've never had to replace an oven. Our built-in oven stopped working a few months ago and we replaced the fan but it seems to have given up for good now.
can we buy just the oven part to slot in to the ready-made bit? Do ovens come in standard sizes? We don't need the hob bit or the extractor bit just the oven bit.
Also the cupboards surrounding the oven need replacing and we need to redo the kitchen in one go but haven't got the money to do it at the moment. Should we wait and manage as the grill part of the oven works until we have the money or is it cheap enough to replace now?


MrsBennetsEldest Fri 04-Apr-14 17:36:29



ivykaty44 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:41:13

Work out the size of your slot and then order on the same size online or in a store, you can get one for around £300

If your kitchen needs replacing and you are going to keep to the same layout then you can reuse the same oven but put in new housing

So I would replace oven now

hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:41:40

Thanks!!! Bit confused by contradiction in your response though.

hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:43:04

Thanks ivy Katy! What sort of person puts the oven in? Is it gas man or electric? The oven bit is electric and the hob is gas.

ivykaty44 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:43:32


OwlCapone Fri 04-Apr-14 17:45:22

I put my own electric built in oven in.

But of you aren't confident, an electrician will wire it in.

NecklessMumster Fri 04-Apr-14 17:46:06

Are you sure you don't just need to replace the element?

ivykaty44 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:49:18

If its a gas oven then you need a gorgi registered plumber, not just any ole plumber.

You may want to have gas when you change and this may not be difficult depending on where the supply is

But if you want to stick with electric then you need an electrician

I just got a beko left side opening door on appliances direct which is electric

I wanted side opening and it had to be left hand side which limited my choice but am pleased

It not for my house though

Remember that when you want your kitchen done get the appiances yourself as it works out far cheaper

I have saved around thousand pounds on what I was quoted by kitchen company for a hob, oven, extractor, dishwasher and fridge

hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:53:32

We replaced the fan a few months ago and had a few other bits done as bits had disintegrated at the back (house is only 10 years old). Fan still under warrantee. It's making a loud noise too. Think it might be easier just to replace it. I know a good electrician I trust too. Also was booked into pay 50£ to get it cleaned next week so that can go towards cost of new one!

hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:58:53

Measured the front of oven and it seems to be standard size. Phoned my lovely electrician and he charges £65 to replace. Thank you mumsnet.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 04-Apr-14 17:59:14

If you've already had to repair it then I would buy a new one.

Our fan has just started making an alarming grinding noise sad Really hoping it will hang on for another few weeks - we had to replace the dishwasher 2 weeks ago.

hercules1 Fri 04-Apr-14 18:01:29

Yes, that's what I thought too plus it needs professional clean.

FourArms Thu 10-Apr-14 21:25:41

Could you manage with a halogen oven until you change the kitchen? I very rarely use my oven these days.

PigletJohn Thu 10-Apr-14 23:39:26

" The oven bit is electric and the hob is gas."

do you mean it is a dual fuel cooker?

if they are separate, then an appliance fitter or electrician can connect an electric hob or oven, but a Gas Safe person must connect a gas hob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now