Talk

Advanced search

I don't understand fitted wardrobes .. can you explain? Difficulty of a tricky box room.

(5 Posts)
FantasticFreda Tue 01-Apr-14 10:19:42

I am looking at wardrobes for our box room which dd3 will soon be moving into.

I need maximise space.

The room only is 3 meters wide and 4 meters long. With a door in one of the long walls and a window in another - so the bed will go along one short wall and the wardrobes along the other. This gives me clothes/toy storage of 3 metres.

I am looking at the Ikea Pax wardrobes. I am thinking og covering the whole of the wall in fitted wardrobe.

Or maybe a corner wardrobe would be better? With.a chest of drawers next to it?

FantasticFreda Tue 01-Apr-14 10:34:24

ToFollowJulie Tue 01-Apr-14 10:48:15

I'm not sure what your question is, but I have had the Ikea Pax wardrobes and they were excellent. We had one small full length with a shelf above, one wide one with a hanging rail at the top and a trouser rail beneath, and another wide one with wooden shelves above waist height and wooden drawers from waist height to the ground.

If you're short of space it's worth looking to see if you can put the higher ones in - they come in 2 heights but we could only use the shorter ones. Also, you need to check where the doors will fasten when you're planning the interior. You're supposed to fasten the doors at 3 points but we could only use the top and bottom fastenings as we had a drawer in the place where the centre fastening should be. It wasn't a problem for us but could be if you had a heavy (mirrored?) door.

FantasticFreda Tue 01-Apr-14 10:58:55

Sorry, OP was a bit rubbish - was juggling dd3 and trying to type at same time!

I wondered if fitted wardrobes were the best thing in such a small space (length of 2m)?

The room is tall enough to have the tallest wardrobe.

VeryStressedMum Tue 01-Apr-14 13:19:04

We have the ikes tall wardrobe in the box room, they are fab, loads of full height storage and no dead space on top of them.
However we also have fitted wardrobes in of the rooms. We have sliding mirrored doors and the whole space behind has been used for a full length high shelf, hanging rails, the wide ikea baskets, etc. It makes use of every inch nearly and the sliding doors means we dont have issues with space to open doors.
But tbh, the ikes wardrobes are so good and you can tailor the space hwo you want it eg. drawers, shelves and they are so reasonably priced i would just go with them.
DH did our fitted wardrobes so we only had to buy the stuff but if we would have had to pay someone it would have been quite expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now