Talk

Advanced search

Does a steam cleaner just loosen dirt and then you're supposed to wipe it away?

(7 Posts)
rollonthesummer Mon 31-Mar-14 13:04:32

Or am I missing a trick here?! I just used my new one.

It spurts out hot steam but the squeegee attachment was awkward to use and didn't seem to do much cleaning.

The upright floor cloth bit worked fine though was quite hard to push.

The nozzle attachment seemed the most satisfying but just seemed to loosen dirt. I think I was expecting more of a pressure washer effect!

Can you please tell me how you use yours (steam and then wipe-or is there no need?) and which attachment is good for what?

I'm wondering if it's actually not that great. Would Amazon take it back if I've used the cleaning pads already?

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 31-Mar-14 13:16:35

Some dirt is loosened and stays there needing to be wiped.
The rest is carried off by the steam into the air in your house.

I find the idea of basically whooshing dirt and grease up into the air only for it to be deposited as a fine film of muck somewhere else, frankly revolting.

Not to mention all that steam making the air in the house damp.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Mon 31-Mar-14 14:09:37

I agree with Flibberty. Steam cleaning is great for sterilising things after they've been cleaned with soap, water, and elbow grease, and for loosening really stubborn stains. But otherwise all they do is sterilise dirt, not remove it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 15:37:35

Yeah, they loosen the dirt then you wipe it away.

rollonthesummer Mon 31-Mar-14 16:04:24

That's great, thank you. I have had another go with it this afternoon and I'm more impressed. It's got all the hard floors clean and streak free fairly effortlessly and I've done three bathrooms and the lounge carpet. I've not got to grips with wall tiles yet though.

Do you wipe with a microfibre cloth or kitchen roll?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 16:25:00

I use kitchen roll. I'm always underwhelmed with micro fibre cloths tbh.

rollonthesummer Mon 31-Mar-14 22:13:20

Right, thank you, DameDiazepam! I like microfibre cloths for some things but tend to find that I'm just spreading dust and fluff from one place to another!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now