Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher problem - dishes smell foul!

(13 Posts)
TinyPanic Sun 30-Mar-14 23:59:47

Often, but not every time, the dishes smell bad (stale, slightly fishy) at the end of the cycle. Sometimes the smell is obvious straightaway when you open the door, but sometimes it can take a few hours and only hits me when I open the cupboard to get some plates. I have tried all combinations of detergents and programme settings and nothing seems to make a difference. Our water tastes fine to drink and there is no funny smell when washing up in the sink. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone solve this problem please?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 08:19:16

Do you regularly put an empty hot wash on with a specific cleaner or soda crystals?

Do you use salt and rinse aid always even with 3 in 1 tablets?

Do you use the hottest wash at least every other day?

PigletJohn Mon 31-Mar-14 10:02:54

Look at the waste pipe, which is probably a grey, convoluted plastic hose.

Does it connect to the sink waste trap?

If so it must take a route which includes an upward bend, where the top of the loop is higher than the water level when the sink is full. Otherwise sink water will run down into the dishwasher when you pull the plug out, carrying tea leaves, bacon fat and fish heads in the dirty water.

You have already cleaned all the dishwasher filters per the instruction book, and the spinning arms, haven't you?

If you have an integrated dishwasher, make a mental note to buy a freestanding one next time so you can easily pull it out for cleaning and servicing.

TinyPanic Mon 31-Mar-14 20:37:46

Thank you both for your suggestions.

It is a brand new dishwasher and it does connect to the sink waste trap and the route has a high bend. We use salt, rinse aid and finish classic tabs (not 3 in 1) and we are currently using the hottest wash every day. We have also spent a small fortune on dishwasher cleaners.....
Is there anything else you can suggest?

PigletJohn Mon 31-Mar-14 20:47:39

is the smell inside the dishwasher?

If you leave the door open for it to air, does the smell go?

how often do you clean the filters?

what make is it?

can you see a heating element (metal, about as thick as a pencil, bent into a loop) at the bottom of the cabinet? is anything stuck to it, e.g. melted-on plastic?

TinyPanic Mon 31-Mar-14 20:55:02

No smell inside dishwasher. The smell is on the crockery.
The smell doesn't go when the door is opened - in fact it builds up and gets worse.
The filters have just been cleaned and are cleaned regularly.
It is a Bosch SMV65E00GB
I can't see the heating element. It is an integrated dishwasher if that makes a difference.
Thank you so much for trying to help me!

PigletJohn Mon 31-Mar-14 21:07:01

don't know then.

Just in case it is the hot element, whisk the door open the moment it has pumped out the final rinse, but before the drying period. See if that makes any difference.

You could also try changing the brand of tablet and rinse aid just in case the smell doesn't suit you. Aldi is good, or try (expensive) Fairy or Finish, whichever you aren't currently using.

Mrsladybirdface Mon 31-Mar-14 22:14:39

Not washing up egg remenants?grin

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 31-Mar-14 22:26:58

I've noticed the fishy smell in brand new dishwashers/washing machines. I'm guessing its something to do with the hot water and plastic parts.

The smell will be on the crockery as the chemicals have passed through the affected parts in the dishwasher at a high temp, then dried on at a high temp. Crockery has a higher level of porosity than stainless steel (so no smell in the actual washer), therefore more opportunities for the odours to attach themselves to the plates and whatnot.

TinyPanic Tue 01-Apr-14 13:19:15

Thanks for your replies.
We have tried different brands of tablet and rinse aid so that is not the problem. Definately not egg remenants.
LuisSuarezTeeth - that is really interesting. That explains why melamine crockery and cups don't smell but the porcelain does. Is there anything that can be done?

PigletJohn Tue 01-Apr-14 14:05:19

some thermoplastics smell fishy when hot, hence the idea of whisking the door open before the drying cycle.

You could also try the "auto" cycle which will not be so hot.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 01-Apr-14 14:18:49

According to google it's a common problem and half a cup of vinegar through a hot wash sorts it.

TinyPanic Tue 01-Apr-14 14:49:17

Thanks, i'll try both. Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now