Talk

Advanced search

Is there likely to be anything in my cupboards to clean burnt stuff from iron?

(11 Posts)
EastMids2 Sun 30-Mar-14 16:32:12

I can't get to the shops until Tuesday and need this horrible brown welded on stuff gone from steam iron, if possible today!

Any hope of cleaning it with something from the "normal" household cupboards, do you think?

ListenToTheLady Sun 30-Mar-14 16:33:55

Try (carefully) nail polish remover, this has worked for me before. If it works, then clean again carefully afterwards or it will remove colour from whatever you iron.

If that doesn't work try something abrasive like cream cleaner or steel wool?

EastMids2 Sun 30-Mar-14 16:36:16

OK have nail polish remover. Is that on a cold iron? Have already tried the abrasive route- no joy as it's really well burned on (not helped that someone left the burned on iron actually switched on all day!)

ListenToTheLady Sun 30-Mar-14 16:36:35

Yes cold!

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Sun 30-Mar-14 16:40:04

My mother used to use salt and brown paper - she'd turn the steam off and iron the layer of salt on top of the brown paper.
No idea if it works as I don't iron. grin

EastMids2 Sun 30-Mar-14 16:50:00

Well I can sort of see the salt acting as an abrasive, but no brown paper in the house. Maybe greaseproof will do - hope it doesn't catch fire!

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Sun 30-Mar-14 16:53:39

Good luck.
I think she used to have the iron at its hottest.

bberry Mon 31-Mar-14 09:49:19

Ooh.... I have brown burnt stuff on my iron..... What will get it off??? Anything better than these home remedies?

Rooble Mon 31-Mar-14 09:55:01

There is a product that you can buy in hardware shops (and maybe some Boots) that is a bit like a Pritt stick. You apply it, get the iron v hot, then iron onto spare cotton to get rid of the gunge. Sorry - cant remember name as I last had it about 15 years ago (lesson learned!).
I would avoid scouring if you have any kind if Teflon/ non-stick bottom.
Try searching Lakeland too.

Rooble Mon 31-Mar-14 09:57:14

This is it http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/kilrock-iron-soleplate-cleaning-stick?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=xliwptrix&istBid=t&gclid=CMC8wsGzvL0CFdShtAodfgoA1A
(Obviously not something just hanging around in your cupboard though)

bberry Mon 31-Mar-14 10:41:05

Fabulous, thank you so much....x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now