Talk

Advanced search

Steam generator iron?

(13 Posts)
MyCatLovesMeSometimes Fri 28-Mar-14 12:39:24

Contemplating buying a steam generator iron for the first time (as had enough of the tefal iron we've had for 14 years and had black stickiness encrusted on it).

I saw this one on Amazon - a signature steam generator - which got good reviews:
www.amazon.co.uk/Signature-S22002-Steam-Generator-2300/dp/B00BOPO28G/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A28EI1OKHF5JAM

But trying to decide if it is worth paying more for a more expensive one? Has anyone used that one or got a recommendation for a steam generator iron?

Thanks.

Molecule Fri 28-Mar-14 21:00:57

It is worth getting one with a refillable water tank if you do lots of ironing, so you don't have to wait for the pressure chamber to cool down before refilling. I have a Phillips which was expensive, but an older model so heavily discounted. I absolutely love it - makes ironing a pleasure.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Fri 28-Mar-14 21:10:54

Cheers - Not tons of ironing but it's not my favourite job! My old iron makes me dread ironing even more. Sounds like I'll be looking into it further then.... wink

DH has already said I can buy whichever one I want as long as I don't feel the need to discuss it...

craftysewer Fri 28-Mar-14 23:19:13

I think steam generators are wonderful. I have had one for about 10 years and would never go back to an ordinary steam iron. As Molecule says, get one with a refillable water tank. I've had two Tefals and ended up with getting them both repaired but the Rowenta one I currently have has been brilliant.

ILoveOnionRings Fri 28-Mar-14 23:56:20

Steam generators are brilliant but bear in mind that as the bases are big you do need a bigger ironing board to. I agree with the refillable water tank and highest wattage your budget allows.

Sleepyfergus Sat 29-Mar-14 07:17:41

Love mine, would never go back to a 'normal' iron now. Much quicker to iron stuff. I've also got one with a refillable chamber whereas my mum has an older one where she has to wait for it to cool down first. I think they're mostly removable to refill now though.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sat 29-Mar-14 07:34:32

I need a new ironing board as well anyway (as it was bought at the same time as the iron - our first house together) and is falling apart as well. How big does the board need to be roughly? I was looking at the Minky expert which is 122 x 38 as it had good reviews on amazon.

Back to irons I was looking at:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AERGTB8/ref=asc_df_B00AERGTB818088003?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=kelkoo094-kitchen-retail-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00AERGTB8&ascsubtag=dc2-ecs-prod-srv-08.prod.dc2.kelkoo.net_uk_uk_1396076671759_70#productDescription

Any Additional recommendations? Cheers

Molecule Sat 29-Mar-14 12:25:54

Can you tell I love ironing? I've just measured my board and it is 135cm x 45cm (approx), and is a Brabantia. It's plenty big enough. I have found that the pull out iron rest isn't big/stable enough for my steam generator iron, so it has to sit on the board itself.

The linked-to iron looks fine to me, tbh if your current iron is rubbish any steam generating one will be wonderful, but mine is a Philips and is the best I've had.

MyCatLovesMeSometimes Sat 29-Mar-14 12:39:50

Lol cheers for that! Hopefully I too will find a love of ironing soon.

ILoveOnionRings Sat 29-Mar-14 16:13:55

Mr ironing board is the large Brabantia to, but I shopped around quite a lot and got it half price (never, ever imagined I would spend that much money on an ironing board blush but it is still going strong. Even with a heavy handed teenage DS)

NormHonal Sat 29-Mar-14 16:39:17

I've got the large Brabantia board too and it's brilliant.

My cheap-but-cheerful steam generator iron has lasted almost 3 years, longer than any iron I've owned before, and ironing is much faster now.

I do want a new iron though, so am going to lurk for suggestions...

canutesauntie Sat 29-Mar-14 17:53:09

I love my steam generator iron and have always hated ironing. If you can I would try handling a few first at John Lewis or Currys or somewhere just to make sure that you find the grip and steam buttons comfortable. I sometimes have to put a bit of foam on one finger as the steamer button rubs( and I still love it)grin

ghyuiop Mon 18-May-15 04:22:05

same here! steam generator irons are just amazing, best purchase of the year for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now