Talk

Advanced search

Smelly washing machine

(8 Posts)
acatcalledchinchi Mon 17-Mar-14 20:29:01

I need help with getting rid of the murky foisty smell in my washing machine.

My washing never smells freshly washed or scented, instead it smells slightly damp and dirty hmm I have tried many different types of washing machine cleaner but nothing do the trick. I've even ran an empty cycle on 90C but that didn't help either.

Does anybody have any tips? Many thanks smile

ilovepowerhoop Mon 17-Mar-14 21:03:52

loads of threads about this.

Empty and clean out the filter, remove dispenser drawer and clean it and the roof bit of where the drawer fits into. Clean around the rubber seal of the door. Run a hot wash again with some soda crystals to clear out grime. Leave the door open when empty.

acatcalledchinchi Mon 17-Mar-14 21:31:58

Many thanks ilovepowerhoop. I'm fairly new to the board so never thought to check previous threads! Thanks for taking the time to reply smile

acatcalledchinchi Mon 17-Mar-14 21:32:28

Sorry, that should say fairly new to Mumsnet!

TollgateDebs Tue 18-Mar-14 16:50:31

Agree with ilovepowerhoop, as 'stuff' hides in the nooks of the machine. I always leave the drawer and door open a little when not in use, which is not often and run the occasional very hot wash. I find reducing the amount of fabric conditioner can help, as some of this can be very gloopy and leaves a residue around the drawer

Slebmum Thu 20-Mar-14 15:13:10

Stick some bicarb in the drawer and white vinegar. Hottest wash it will do. Leave door open.

Use tablets instead of capsules - if you don't wash on hot they don't dissolve properly and clog up the drain but of the machine. I read that on here and haven't had problems since, and its cheaper.

Mouldypineapple Fri 21-Mar-14 21:49:55

I agree with ilovepowerhoop We had the same problem but ultimately got the seal replaced and things got better! We were advised not to use washing machine cleaner as it loosens up the gunk but its still around. Run a very hot wash once a month with the machine empty. Also clean out the drainage pipes occasionally. Ue powder not liquid or the plastic tablets.
Machine is about 12 years old and working well so want to keep it that way!

gobbin Sat 22-Mar-14 10:46:00

Use powder, never use fabric conditioner, run a 90deg wash once a month with a cup of soda crystals in the drawer (and teatowels in the machine, may as well) and leave the door open v slightly at the end of every wash to air it.

You might have to run two or three hot cycles first to clean it through. You will have a spaaaarkly machine in no time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now