Talk

Advanced search

Household rota for the children

(13 Posts)
FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 12:36:07

Can someone please help me make a rota as I can't work out whether they should have one each or a shared one?

We tried paying them pocket money if they did their set jobs.
We tried giving them a daily amount if they did what they were asked too whenever.
We tired payment per job.
We tried a bonus for whoever emptied the dishwasher the most so it was all volunteered led.

Nothing really works and lasts. They would opt for less money rather than do the jobs. Currently they get the same money each week and I say what needs doing and ask for volunteers, sometimes I just tell who is doing it. Often there is moaning and face pulling. DD does it the most without fuss but has started commenting her brothers are lazy (not always untrue).

The three jobs I want doing are empty the dishwasher (could be 2-3 times a day while they are about), sweep the kitchen floor and wipe the table after every meal.

They also hoover occasionally when I aske them too but that isn't a set every day job as I have normally done it.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 11-Mar-14 16:24:33

See thread in Chat about this!

Nocomet Tue 11-Mar-14 16:45:53

Just be sure to use lots of colour coding, chore rotas only function is to decorate the fridge.

FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 19:29:34

Face - I can't find the thread, what is it called.

Of course, Nocomet! I love stickers and highlighter pens. Only reason I am doing it!!

jamaisjedors Tue 11-Mar-14 19:46:06

How old are they?

DS (9) set up our system for him and his brother (7).

If they want to get their 2€ pocket money, they have to get 15 ticks on the job list. They are assigned 2 jobs for the whole week and have to do them once a day at least (same 2 jobs for a week and then rotate). So one will be clearing the table and putting out recycling, and the other will be feeding the chickens and laying the table.

This for a week. The following week they swap jobs.

They can get bonus ticks for tidying up or making their bed, and sometimes if they do extra hard jobs, say in the garden, we give them 2 or 3 ticks.

If you don't have 15 ticks, then no money at the end of the week.

DS1 does his jobs assiduously, DS2 often skives off but we feel he is at least learning why his big brother has more money than him. If he wants to save up for something special, he is suddenly super motivated to do his jobs and get lots of points/ticks.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 11-Mar-14 19:47:57

Something like 'What does your 9 year old do?' Will try to link.

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 11-Mar-14 19:49:33

Thread in Chat

FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 19:58:08

Thank you. I will take a look.

The problem is sometimes they would rather have no money than help and I am trying to teach them that they should be helping anyway without expecting to be paid which is why I reinstated pocket money and didn't bother with the job list (as it wasn't working.)

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 11-Mar-14 20:48:17

I also detached pocket money from jobs. Two different lessons in my mind. Plus I couldn't actually manage the processes, iyswim.

FabBakerGirl Wed 12-Mar-14 13:12:44

I agree the process should be separate which is why they get the same amount all week regardless of who did what. The children should get pocket money to learn about managing it but they should also learn that they need to help around the house as we all live here and make work so why should only mummy clear up.

pootlebug Wed 12-Mar-14 13:15:54

Ask them to come up with a plan. So you can sit them all down together and present them with the problem:

"There are lots of jobs to be done and I can't be expected to do them all. We need to come up with a plan to get them done and for everyone to do their share....what do you think?"

They may surprise you with some ideas you haven't thought of, and are (maybe!) more likely to stick to an arrangement that they have had more part in arranging. Try to guide the discussion but not dominate it iyswim.

FabBakerGirl Wed 12-Mar-14 13:31:49

Have tried that. All agreed they should help, then started arguing amongst themselves saying they did more than the others hmm.

FabBakerGirl Wed 12-Mar-14 14:12:20

And still moaned about having to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now