Talk

Advanced search

Why are my towels really hard and stiff after drying?

(16 Posts)
MostlyCake Sun 09-Mar-14 19:24:47

Makes no difference if I air dry over a clothes horse or put them in the tumble dryer, I don't use dryer sheets or anything.

The baby's towels are very scratchy now and I worry about his skin.

Why does this happen and what can I do?

Bonsoir Sun 09-Mar-14 19:27:53

What washing detergent do you use? How hot do you wash your towels?

I would try washing them at 90° just adding a little vinegar.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 09-Mar-14 19:29:56

I think fabric conditioner can do this, so I've read.

Must admit I use fabric conditioner and as long as I tumble dry they're fine.

mousmous Sun 09-Mar-14 19:31:10

too much detergent?

MostlyCake Sun 09-Mar-14 19:32:23

Surf for our stuff and fairy non bio for ds. I wash everything fairly cool - 30° or 40° and then stick them in a boil wash every now and then.

I'll try the vinegar suggestion - thanks!

I've just found another thread on this very subject with other suggestions! Lots to try, luckily I love hate doing the washing....!

MostlyCake Sun 09-Mar-14 19:35:03

I'm pretty frugal tight with the recommended amounts of powder and use about two thirds of the suggested volumes. I don't use fabric conditioner either as i thought it made towels less absorbant.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Mar-14 02:14:58

They may have soap residue. Give them a hot hot hot wash with a cup of washing soda crystals, and NO soap or fabsoft.

MostlyCake Wed 12-Mar-14 06:55:03

I gave a bag of soda crystals, are these the same as washing soda crystals? Do you just put it in the drawer or in the drum?

smearedinfood Wed 12-Mar-14 06:58:00

DP was asking me about this. Do you live in a hard water area? I'm thinking this might have some effect.

mousmous Wed 12-Mar-14 07:39:39

yes, those are soda crystals.
I would put them directly into the drum.

(I also put in the washing powder directly into the drum, keeps the drawe clean)

mummytime Wed 12-Mar-14 07:56:43

I find dryer balls (like the ones from Lakeland) help,they contain no chemicals.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 12-Mar-14 07:59:33

I know you need soft ones for a baby but I love rough towels they get you really dry.

JimmyCorkhill Wed 12-Mar-14 08:12:41

Not much soap then do an extra rinse and spin after the original wash cycle has ended. Then tumble dry or dry on the line/airer and tumble just at the end.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 12-Mar-14 08:23:05

I like crispy towels too

phantomnamechanger Wed 12-Mar-14 20:48:59

hard water definitely has an effect, our towels and flannels go as stiff as cardboard!

MostlyCake Wed 12-Mar-14 22:11:12

It's more for the towels for the baby, I like tough towels too! I'll try the soda crystals and mega heat tmro.

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now