Talk

Advanced search

cleaning a mattress

(5 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Sun 02-Mar-14 08:08:27

our mattress is a bit old, stained and manky. cant afford a new one but I want to give it as good a clean as poss then buy a mattress protector so I can at least cover it up a bit. how can I clean and freshen it up?

Ellisisland Sun 02-Mar-14 08:14:56

Will sound weird, but for stains cream cleaner works well. Dab a bit on and rub then wipe with wet cloth.

Was told it on here ages ok and it worked well on a stained mattress I had till we could get a new one.

Artandco Sun 02-Mar-14 08:28:48

Hoover it well with small nozzle part of Hoover to clear some of the dustmites

Sparkles23 Sun 02-Mar-14 08:33:08

Mix bio washing powder with some water, whisk it up and then using a new/clean sponge dab on the foam on to the stains and sort of circular scrub, keep doing this and maybe leave foam on for a while before scrubbing-it will get rid of the stains. I did this to a tea stain on our mattress and it worked v well, just be sure to just use the foam so mattress doesn't get too wet. (I kept just re-whisking the mixture to get more foam) and leave to dry completely.

LoveSewingBee Sun 02-Mar-14 10:29:58

I would treat it as a carpet, making sure it doesn't get too wet. Using powder cleaner and hoovering it well. Ideally on a warm sunny day so I Can leave it out in the sun to dry and air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now