Talk

Advanced search

How do you store older children's toys so that toddler can't get them?

(8 Posts)
Jemster Wed 26-Feb-14 21:25:20

I have a 6 year old ds who has lots of smallish toys, figures with removable heads etc. We have one open plan living room which he & dd who's almost 2 both play in. Although I've told him he must be careful around her I'm worried she is going to get hold of something unsuitable.
He doesn't like playing alone in his room so he does have toys downstairs.

I did buy some clear plastic boxes with lids to lut his things in but it turns out dd can open them!

Can anyone recommend some boxes that he will be able to undo but not her?

What do other people do to keep toddlers safe from older children's toys?

ultraviolet11 Sat 01-Mar-14 12:54:05

hi I started a similar thread to this yesterday as I have similar issue. Some good ideas on there. on phone so not sure how to link it's still active on GH.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Mar-14 14:53:27

If they don't share a bedroom, store everything your DS wants in his bedroom and put a stairgate on the door which he has control of to keep his younger sibling out.

Worked form my sister's two.

minesapintofwine Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:53

Is it possible to put ds's toys higher than dd can reach? Eg. Ikea Expedia units plus the boxes on the wall, or just boxes on shelves. Maybe high enough that ds has to use a childs step? Or is it possible to seperate the playroom into two parts with some kind of barrier dd can't get through big imagination here.

minesapintofwine Sat 01-Mar-14 22:20:29

Ah its a living room not a playroom! My twins are 2 and im considering the Expedia unit on wall to stop every single toy coming out at the same time

Wingdingdong Sat 01-Mar-14 22:27:58

If your DD's almost 2, is she reliable enough to teach how to play with the toys? My DS was 2 last month, we don't keep the toys separate (in fact, he's good enough with little things that we gave him a Playmobil advent calendar at Christmas too). We kept that kind of thing in DD's room, only bringing them downstairs to play with under supervision, until we were fairly sure that DS was ok with small pieces - but gradual, frequent exposure seemed to work. DS loves Playmobil and also builds things with small Lego. It's good for his fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination. Obvs if he was a child who put everything in his mouth we'd still keep the stuff separate, but he's never done that.

We do put some things on shelves that only DD can reach - mostly her 'precious' stuff, not necessarily dangerous. The Ikea Expedit unit with the plastic boxes is pretty good for that, then the older DC can reach for the whole box and put it back themselves. Tbh DS can now reach those shelves by pulling a chair up, but he knows not to touch her stuff now (think he's afraid of his sister's temper!).

I can't recommend any boxes with lids. Even the lock'n'lock stuff could be opened by DS by 18m. Unless you get a toy chest with a padlock?! Personally I felt it worked better to teach DS to be careful, because I couldn't rely enough on DD not to leave the stuff lying around/under sofas etc - but I know that depends on both children's personalities and ages.

Wingdingdong Sat 01-Mar-14 22:29:53

Xpost with Minesapint as I wandered off to refill my wine glass! But the Expedit unit is great, we have the 4x4 so you can switch around boxes/books etc as the DC grow.

RandomMess Sat 01-Mar-14 22:31:04

We used the high trofast units so we had to get them down for the older ones to play with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now