Talk

Advanced search

Stinky, honky stale urine smell coming from one of the loos

(20 Posts)
hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 20:35:24

The loo in the family bathroom is emitting a funky odour of strong urine. It is flushed regularly, the floor is vinyl (karndean) not carpet, ds has good aim and there are no puddles, and I've been chucking bleach down it like nobodies business whilst simultaneously burning scented candles and still it is rank

Why?

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 20:51:13

Come on, this may be a first world problem but it is a whiffy one!

WildThong Mon 24-Feb-14 20:52:33

Under the rim maybe? Did you sniff your Karndean just in case?

Beanymonster Mon 24-Feb-14 20:53:30

We have this problem, and actually after several months weeks realised that our bath mat was mouldy and was stinking so bad it smelt like pee.... Maybe go detective on the rest of your bathroom before you blame your toilet !

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Feb-14 20:53:51

Is there sealant between the vinyl and loo, and is it still intact?

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 24-Feb-14 20:55:20

Also perhaps remove the loo seat and give it a good clean round the hinges where you can't normally get to.

LyndaCartersBigPants Mon 24-Feb-14 21:00:13

Try a lime scale removing toilet cleaner instead of bleach. I find mine get much cleaner with duck or harpic than bleach.

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:00:36

Ha ha - no didn't sniff the Karndean just in case....

Hang on a minute....

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:01:57

Family bathroom adjacent room to my study - have just got back having sniffed floor, all clear

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:03:07

No bath mat...and clean rim (Oooh I say)

I will try another deep clean though - with a lime scale removing product

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 24-Feb-14 21:03:41

We had this problem recently and turned out that no wax seal had been fitted to the toilet.

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:13:11

How long has the toilet been there before this smell occurred goodbye? Did you need to get a plumber to fix it?

Our toilet is 11 years old. Would it not have happened before (only recent onset)?

AnnoyingOrange Mon 24-Feb-14 21:18:19

Is the toilet seat wooden? They can get stinky if the varnish is penetrated

hmc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:33:43

No plastic / enamel (whatever they are usually made of)

MichonnesSamuraiSword Mon 24-Feb-14 21:35:17

Have you tried the outside of the toilet... maybe your DHs aim isn't always as good as you think, wee can drip down the outside.

TheBigBumTheory Mon 24-Feb-14 21:37:36

Have you mixed bleach with another cleaning product and inadvertently produced ammonia? I did this and it smells like strong wee.

Grotbagstwin Mon 24-Feb-14 21:38:39

Im our old house the vinyl wasnt sealed around the toilet so small amounts of urine went under the vinyl and made bathroom honk, ripping it up and bleaching floorboards got rid of it, also soaking toilet seat helps.

HeatherMoor Mon 24-Feb-14 22:08:55

We had this.
Wet knickers stuffed behind sink!
(Not mine!!!)

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 24-Feb-14 22:21:24

The house was built in 2000 so I assume the loo was installed then. We moved in here about 12 months ago but it was only 3 months ago that we noticed the smell. We rent so the landlord had a plumber come out and look at it. Wasn't a complicated job and only took the guy 15 minutes or so.

Like you we have no carpet or mat. I cleaned the loo inside and out with bleach plus the floor. It was only when the wax seal was sorted that the smell went.

hmc Tue 25-Feb-14 10:00:20

My money is on the wax seal then - thanks, will get it looked at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now