Talk

Advanced search

Help - blocked bathroom sink

(16 Posts)
Madmog Mon 24-Feb-14 15:05:39

Been away for a few days and on return found bathroom sink is draining away really slowly. What can I put down it to clear it without damaging the sink and metal plughole. The sink pipe runs into the bath pipe and bath is draining away fine, so know it's the sink.

misscph1973 Mon 24-Feb-14 15:10:05

Get one of those plunger things from the DIY shop. And then fill your sink with wearm water and pump the heck out of it and then do it again!

maggiemight Mon 24-Feb-14 15:12:52

You could try filling with water, blocking overflow drain with one wet flannel and using a second flannel as a plunger, meanwhile, if you don't have a plunger. It can help though a bit splashy.

midwifeandmum Mon 24-Feb-14 15:13:29

Mr muscle drain unblock. its an expanding foam. I tried it once and it worked.

Somersetlady Mon 24-Feb-14 15:16:31

Coca Cola. Put the plug in and pour in a litre of full fat coke leave for 30mins then rinse with kettle full og boiling water.

DorothyGherkins Mon 24-Feb-14 15:16:41

Plunger every time! Once you ve sorted this blockage, have a maintenance plunge every few months to keep things flowing.

kansasmum Mon 24-Feb-14 20:53:40

Chuck some bicarb down and then vinegar. It will fizz and froth and should unbung the blockage. Follow up with couple of kettle of just boiled water.

LyndaCartersBigPants Mon 24-Feb-14 21:03:14

I use One Shot, sulphuric acid. Evil stuff but it works, just take the plug drainer out and pour it carefully so it doesn't touch the visible metal parts. Wear gloves and take care.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Feb-14 09:28:36

plunger will usually do it, but you can now buy a big hand-pump that may be better. It is easier with two people as you need to block the overflow by pressing against it with a sponge or rag in a plastic bag.

you say you were away. Do you mean someone poked something down it, or do you mean it congealed when not used?

Madmog Tue 25-Feb-14 09:45:25

Thanks for your replies. Can't get to a diy shop for a few days, so have just put some cola down there as that's what we've got in the house and will see what happens. Otherwise will try some bicarb or Mr Muscle which I can easily buy later.

PigletJohn, think this problem may have been building up slowly without us realizing and then as you say whatever it was congealed in the sink.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Feb-14 09:56:39

if it is soak scum or congealed grease and hair, try spooning in washing-soda crystals then just enough hot water to moisten them. Leave several hours.

You will see a small screw in the centre of the plug hole which enables you to remove the grid.

The trap under the sink is plastic and made with big plastic nuts to take it apart. If you have not had much practice it might leak when you put it back together.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Feb-14 09:58:42

bottle traps are much easier to clear because you just unscrew the plastic jar underneath. However they clog much easier than "U" traps.

search.wickes.co.uk/search#w=basin%20trap&asug=

Bonsoir Tue 25-Feb-14 10:00:52

Try this. It works for me.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Feb-14 10:01:02

bottle traps

maggiemight Tue 25-Feb-14 22:22:46

bottle traps are much easier to clear because you just unscrew the plastic jar underneath

But once you unscrew it dont empty it into the sink - sounds obvious but everyone does it.

starfish4 Thu 27-Feb-14 14:29:30

Don't laugh, I sorted ours out by gently pushing a chopstick down all the holes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now