Talk

Advanced search

Will eyelet curtains let in too much light, even with blackout lining?

(4 Posts)
gretagrape Sat 22-Feb-14 09:53:53

Hi - I'm making curtains for my 10mo son's bedroom. I like the look of eyelet curtains on a pole, but will they stand out too far from the wall to be able to block out the light? Should I just go for standard curtains on a track so they sit much closer to the wall?

His room is west facing, so once we get to around April/May, it will still be bright sunlight in there by the time he goes to bed.

I thought about maybe fitting a separate blackout blind as well but will that look a bit rubbish with a blind inside the window area and then a pole above?

iggymama Sat 22-Feb-14 12:51:17

Do you have upvc windows? If so, look at perfect fit blinds which fit directly into the frame, look very neat and would do a great job of blocking out light. I don't have them but plan to buy them later this year.

specialsubject Sat 22-Feb-14 12:51:37

yes. Eyelets and curtain poles are useless for keeping light out and heat in. You need proper curtain rails fitted above the window, with blackout linings.

a properly fitted blackout blind looks good, and can be removed with minimal damage once he is old enough for a gro-clock. :-)

gretagrape Sat 22-Feb-14 16:38:23

Thanks - yes our windows are upvc - I'll have a look at the perfect fit blinds then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now