Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quilts- is this supposed to happen?

(8 Posts)
SpawningSalmon Thu 20-Feb-14 22:10:30

I have just washed my DDs beautiful elephant cot bed quilt from The White Company and now that it has dried I can see that the filling inside looks like it has bunched together in strips within the embroidered sections. When it is held up to the light you can see straight through sections if fabric where the filling is no longer and other parts are a bit bulky.

I have never owned a quilt before, is this supposed to happen? The washing instructions say that it is fine to machine wash at 40 degrees. I did it on a gentle 30 degree cycle.

So disappointed, it is such a lovely item. sad

DwellsUndertheSink Thu 20-Feb-14 22:13:43

shouldnt happen. Can the item be tumble dried? If so, Id give that a go, preferably with a couple of tennis balls in the drier, and see if that fluffs up and redistributes the filling.

Its a long shot, however

SpawningSalmon Thu 20-Feb-14 22:16:57

I think I would be scared it would make it worse. I am going to call TWC tomorrow, but I have had it for about a year- just not used it until recently as DD still too little, so I am not holding onto much hope that they will do much for me. Also not available anymore.

PigletJohn Thu 20-Feb-14 22:57:41

Tumble drying is usually recommended, because it shakes the filling loose. Drying static (e.g. hanging over something) the wet filling sticks together.

Is it filled with cotton or feathers or something? I don't think I've seen hollowfibre clump like that.

Catsmamma Thu 20-Feb-14 23:00:15

I'd give it a jolly good shake....fillings tend to compact when wet as suggested, so if you try that or a cool tumble it should floof up again.

steppemum Thu 20-Feb-14 23:07:46

tumble dry it, it will not make it worse, and may fluff it up

SpawningSalmon Fri 21-Feb-14 13:17:04

Thanks everyone for your replies. I called TWC this morning and they said it shouldn't happen and have asked me to return it so they can investigate. I will give it a really good shake first though, will save a lot of faff if I can sort it out myself.

Thanks again.

lurkerspeaks Fri 21-Feb-14 17:45:07

When you wash down clothing/sleeping bags they advise you to tumble dry with balls in the dryer and stop the dryer to gently shake (vigorous shaking runs the risk of ripping the baffles between the sections) regularly.

If you really like it make sure you have provision to get it back from TLWC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now