Talk

Advanced search

Half term declutter

(17 Posts)
PenguinBear Mon 17-Feb-14 11:40:40

I have the week off work and I am going to spend some of it decluttering the house.

spends first morning watching Anthea Turner's Perfect Housewife DVD

We've already done the garage, conservatory, lounge and dining room (over the past 6 weeks) but still have all the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen to do. Plus I may do a few more bits in the rooms we've done depending on how ruthless I feel!

Mrswellyboot Mon 17-Feb-14 11:53:01

Ah, I love her DVDs too smile

outtolunchagain Mon 17-Feb-14 12:35:09

We are thinking of putting the house on the market so I'm also half term decluttering!Just had big sort out of airing cupboard and arranged for old bed to be collected for charity

Mrswellyboot Mon 17-Feb-14 13:33:59

I have just cleared out the airing cupboard and sorted a bag of clothes for charity. I am going to add unused kitchen goods into the charity bag too

Jaisalmer Mon 17-Feb-14 13:39:24

I am hoping to do this too although we are half through the first day and I have - sat by the fire, read the paper, had some lunch, more logs on the fire, tired after lunch, about to retire back to the paper by the fire and listen to The Archers blush.

I keep saying I will venture upstairs with my bin liners and marigolds when I've finished whichever cup of tea is on the go at the current time grin.

ProjectMe2014 Mon 17-Feb-14 16:25:40

Oh I'm in.
Today I have decluttered and organised the dd's bedroom. Done toys, clothes and books. Just need to hoover it and clean the window and that room is done. It was a mammoth task so am pleased to have it done in one day. Have a long list to do for the rest of the week. Its not just decluttering but a lot of stuff that I cant seem to get done in a normal working week.

My agreement with the 3dc is that if they help and work hard in the mornings we can do something nice and fun in the afternoons so win win all round. We are having friends round for tea but I have no food in so go to go shopping first! Bah.

comicsansisevil Mon 17-Feb-14 18:15:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PenguinBear Mon 17-Feb-14 20:51:40

I am embarrassed to say that didn't get very far! I started dd1s bedroom. Changed the bed sheets and put the rubbish in the bin but that was about it.

I could do some more tonight but have to pick dd1 at some point this evening which will be an hour there and back smile

Burma Tue 18-Feb-14 08:38:07

I managed to clear up two bedrooms and the landing after a somewhat shaky start! On a roll now, lots of stuff bagged up for the charity shop and bin.

It's getting started that's the hard thing, bit like a lot of things in life! Hoping to do 3rd bedroom and what we hilariously refer to as the playroom but is really just a hell hole full of crap.

Ilovexmastime Tue 18-Feb-14 08:42:02

I started decluttering the attic in the xmas holidays... so now I need to declutter our spare room as that's where most of it ended up! I find it really difficult to get rid of anything, I always think we'll need it at some point or am emotionally attached to it sad

happyyonisleepyyoni Tue 18-Feb-14 08:44:09

I'm in smile I seem to spend my whole life decluttering though, it's depressing how quickly the house fills up.

Yesterday I did 2 drawers in the study and put 3 photos in frames that had just been sat on a drawer. I think I'll set a mini challenge to sort out photos and keepsakes, as I got 2 boxes down from the loft recently and could do with sorting through the rest and then putting it all back up there.

I have loads of books to go to the CS which have been under my bed since my pre-Xmas declutter.

Burma Tue 18-Feb-14 09:56:47

I'm embarrassed to admit that i've only just put away some of the Christmas duvets that we had out for guests blush

TeaOneSugar Tue 18-Feb-14 11:42:49

I'm attempting a room a day, except tomorrow as we're out all day.

I Scrubbed the bathroom yesterday.

I'm going to do the lounge, hall, stairs and landing later after I've dropped dd at the cinema with granny.

Thursday morning I'm tackling the kitchen, DH will be in bed so can't do upstairs.

Friday and Saturday will be bedrooms.

We also have lots of fun planned smile

Nojustalurker Wed 19-Feb-14 13:03:37

I am getting our flat ready for the estate agents to take the pics of Saturday but I am running out of motivation. I am doing some DIY stuff before I do the big clean on Friday.

Any tips to keep going?

PenguinBear Wed 19-Feb-14 19:06:41

Take pictures! Before and after! I always look at them when I'm feeling defeated or bored and it spurs me on massively!

I am off to Ikea to buy storage tomorrow!

outtolunchagain Thu 20-Feb-14 12:26:24

Kitchen food cupboards done this morning , bed collected by Furniture Project ,about to tackle the family room.

outtolunchagain Thu 20-Feb-14 12:30:19

Does anyone use storage jars for things like rice, sugar and flour, and if you do what do when you buy top ups .I start with everything in jars and then then it's almost time to top up but there wasn't enough space in the jar so I end up with half a packet sitting around etc .

Silly first world problem but would rally like my cupboards to be better organised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now