Talk

Advanced search

My iron is photosynthesising

(9 Posts)
OuterFromOutersville Sun 16-Feb-14 19:27:56

I left my iron with water in it on the spare room windowsill, and now the water reservoir has bright green something or other in it!

Do I need to throw it away, or can I clean it somehow?

LettertoHermioneGranger Sun 16-Feb-14 19:33:19

Urgh. Mold. Try to clean it with soap, but I would normally go straight for bleach in cases of mold and you wouldn't want to risk your clothes. If it's not a hardship, getting rid of it and getting a new one might be best...

OuterFromOutersville Sun 16-Feb-14 19:35:44

I do have a fancy for a new one now that you mention it Hermione grin. I think it's responsible for two green spots on the sleeve of my favourite blouse.

Um, do non-slatterns empty the water reservoir when the iron isn't in use then?

hevak Sun 16-Feb-14 19:39:46

Well, I always empty the reservoir and leave the "cap" open IYKWIM? Then any dregs of water can evaporate while the iron is in storage for many months before its next outing!

I've never had any mould grow inside my iron so I must be doing something right!

PigletJohn Sun 16-Feb-14 19:45:23

algae is growing in the water reservoir. The difficulty (unless the plastic tank detaches) will be using a cleaning agent that will not harm the inside of the iron (likely to include rubber and aluminium). So no bleach.

start by giving it a good shake through with warm water and household cleaner, then rinse at once.

you could try a descaler, which is acid and will kill the algae but might not wash it away. Usually these growths clean away more easily once they are dead.

try not to iron anything white or important until you are sure all the bits are out.

if the tank detaches, denture cleaner might do it.

OuterFromOutersville Sun 16-Feb-14 19:46:00

I think it used to be fine despite my lack of care because I used to iron regularly, but I recently got a tumble dryer, so now I iron much less frequently, which has given it time to evolve grin...

OuterFromOutersville Sun 16-Feb-14 19:48:03

Thanks PigletJohn, the tank doesn't detach unfortunately, but I'll try your suggestion.

gobbin Mon 17-Feb-14 18:49:53

My iron lives in a dark place, does your stay in the daylight? Hide it away!

OuterFromOutersville Mon 17-Feb-14 22:18:53

Yes gobbin, I've been leaving it on the windowsill recently. Oops...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now