Talk

Advanced search

Help an idiot out - deodorising soft toys

(9 Posts)
MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sat 15-Feb-14 17:17:48

I have 2 huge tubs filled with soft toys - some old and sentimental, some new. My ds (nearly 2) is showing an interest but I just found that they stink - even the new ones. Partly due to some of the older ones passing on the smell, partly due to the boxes reeking of plastic. In my wisdom, the boxes were sealed so no air circulation.

I've seen a lot online about using baking soda and a bag to deodorise. Now, I have baking powder. I have bicarbonate of soda. Baking soda appears not to exist in the shops I've gone to so I can only assume it's another name for bicarbonate of soda or baking powder. Only problem is I don't know which! Can anyone help?

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Feb-14 17:21:34

I put soft toys in the washing machine. In fact I had a line full of Pokemon only yesterday.

You could definitely put some of the newer ones in on a wool or delicate cycle.

Otherwise, hanging them outside will probably help anyway.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sat 15-Feb-14 18:02:07

Thanks, but I think that's part if the problem - I live in a gardenless flat so nowhere to really air-dry them.

bicarbonate of soda is what you need - I have a whole book about its uses grin Chuck the toys in a bag with a sprinkling of bicarb and give it a good shake. if they're really smelly leave them a few hours.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Feb-14 20:17:43

have you got a tumble drier? You can sack them in a pillowcase and tumble with a scented softener sheet. If you have lots, sneak them into the laundrette.

they stay damp for a long time when washed, so a tumbledrier will stop them being damp and musty.

pumpkinsweetie Sun 16-Feb-14 09:32:15

Wash on a short cycle with detergent & fabric softener, then tumble dry.
I do this with most soft toys, not a damaged one yet!

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sun 16-Feb-14 11:56:21

We'll I did a test run with the bicarb and it worked like a dream! I'm so impressed! Why did no-one ever tell me how good it is?? What else can you do with it?

I think I might bite the bullet (I'm quite a cautious person) and put some in the washing machine though. I did machine wash a few yesterday and they've come out lovely - dried them overnight in the bathroom with the towel rail on and they're all bone dry this morning. Thanks so much for your advice guys, you all rock. Very helpful smile

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sun 16-Feb-14 21:00:36

Hmm, the bicarb trick wasn't very long-lasting; even though I used loads and left them ages, the smell has now returned. Have bitten the bullet and divided some to be hand washed, some that will doubtless be fine in the washing machine and some (fragile or v old) that I will wrap in tumble dryer scented sheets until the bad smell is replaced by a nice smell. Those I washed in the machine yesterday were dry by this morning and smell lovely!

SavoyCabbage Sun 16-Feb-14 21:31:46

Oh that's good. One of my friends had a 'cuddly toy' setting on her washing machine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now