Talk

Advanced search

water softener- just a quick question <hopeful> please?

(10 Posts)
Nr1LadiesDefectiveAgency Sat 15-Feb-14 17:11:40

when we moved into our house we had a water softener installed. the plumber decided (on our behalf hmm) to bypass the cold tap in the kitchen.

is it possible to change this still?

tia...

Nr1LadiesDefectiveAgency Sat 15-Feb-14 18:06:18

anyone? please? looked at all pigletjohn's posts....

PigletJohn Sat 15-Feb-14 20:15:39

some people like to have hard water coming through the kitchen cold tap, it might be healthier.

a plumber can shift the connections if you want.

RachelHRD Sat 15-Feb-14 20:22:49

When ours was installed the plumber said he couldn't plumb it to the kitchen sink because of regulations that drinking water shouldn't be softened because of the salt content. I'm happy with it this way as I have young children and want to limit their and our salt intake as much as possible.

RandomMess Sat 15-Feb-14 20:24:17

I think it's standard to have one drinking source unsoftened tbh. We got around this by having a water filtered tap installed but the main cold water tap is softened.

Atbeckandcall Sat 15-Feb-14 20:24:35

You're not supposed to have the cold tap in the kitchen connected to the softener because of the high sodium levels. Probably best to leave it this way to be honest.

TheBitterBoy Sat 15-Feb-14 20:25:08

You mustn't drink softened water, it's really bad for you. There are regs which state when a softener is installed there must be access to unsoftened mains drinking water in the kitchen.

Atbeckandcall Sat 15-Feb-14 20:25:10

Just realised that is exactly what someone else said, duh!!!

Nr1LadiesDefectiveAgency Sat 15-Feb-14 21:20:41

thanks everyone - looks like it will have to stay put then, if it's a building regs thing...

thanks!

PigletJohn Sun 16-Feb-14 10:00:05

it isn't in building regulations AFAIK.

There is not any salt in the water (unless your softener is broken) however there is a tiny amount of sodium bicarbonate (as used in indigestion remedies and baking powder).

If you drink two litres of softened water per day, for a month, you will have consumed additional sodium equivalent to one teaspoonful of salt (so far less than in a McBurger, or a dollop of ketchup, or a loaf of bread). Many people consider this to be insignificant.

However if you have e.g. kidney failure and are on a severely restricted sodium-free diet (have to eat special food, get salt-free bread on prescription etc.) or are a FF baby, then you should not drink softened water. You might like a "water filter" tap or a Brita type filter, for drinking purposes only. I enquired and they use a different method so do not put sodium into the water. There is said to be a benefit for the heart in drinking hard water (regardless of softeners).

I use softened cold water for the washing machine, bathroom and everything else, it cleans better and does not leave scale. It also leaves the WC pan and cistern cleaner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now