Talk

Advanced search

Keep Refridgerated - use within 6 weeks of opening

(6 Posts)
Girlsbrigadewashorrible Fri 14-Feb-14 18:28:23

My new intergrated fridge is tiny. Do I really need to refridgerate ketchup, mustard, Daddies sauce and various other jars and bottles? I could save lots of space by storing them in a cupboard. I will still keep jam and pesto in the fridge as they grow mould like it's going out of fashion. All fridge storage saving tips greatly received.

yourlittlesecret Fri 14-Feb-14 18:34:14

I have the opposite problem - lack of cupboard space but two huge fridges. I keep all sorts in there grin.
This has always puzzled me though. I'm not very strict about best before dates and I never know whether to bother when it's a jar of chutney or something my grandmother would have kept for months and not even in the fridge.

Frontdoorstep Fri 14-Feb-14 19:07:17

I don't keep things like ketchup, mustard, diluting juice etc in the fridge. It is only dh that really uses that stuff, I make sure he doesn't have more than one of each open at a time and he uses them all fairly quickly. Never had a problem. I do look at them though and if they have been in the cupboards a while an are starting to look a bit yucky I throw them away.

Goldmandra Fri 14-Feb-14 19:10:23

Ketchup used to be OK to keep out of the fridge but regulations about the amount of preservative they can contain have changed so they are now not so well protected. Hence the need for refrigeration.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Fri 14-Feb-14 19:25:42

Thank you Goldmandra, I will add ketchup to my pesto and jam list.

trinity0097 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:47:51

Just buy smaller bottles and don't keep in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now