Talk

Advanced search

Help - dishwasher not washing anything in back of lower racks

(13 Posts)
misscph1973 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:19:40

My dishwasher has developed "blind spots"! Anything I put in the back lower rack comes out filthy, everything else is lovely and clean.

I have tried a dish washer cleaner, I have cleaned the filters and spray arms and I have been using vinegar in the rinse aid compartment for a mont now to rule out lime scale build up. I have always been careful with refilling salt and rinse aid as soon as the warning lights go on.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 13:35:59

D

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 13:43:18

Do both the arms spin correctly when the baskets are in position? Could anything be causing an obstruction?

misscph1973 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:52:20

Yes, they are fine, I have opened it mid cycle to check.

NotCitrus Fri 14-Feb-14 14:11:06

Can you take the arms out and ensure none of their holes are blocked? Failing that root around in the holes with a skewer or tweezers. A piece of plastic film got inside mine and caused that problem.

Also ensure you clean the gunk catcher in the bottom.

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 14:28:08

Depending on make and model, some dwrs squirt alternately out of the top and bottom spinners. Possibly it is stuck, or possibly there is an obstruction in the pipe to the lower spinner. Do you put greasy grill or roasting pans in it?

My current Siemens has a sort of shower head you can fit to wash huge items.

I wonder if your machine has any comparable options.

When did it last work correctly?

misscph1973 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:45:49

I will check the holes in the arms again, thanks.

Yes, I put all sorts of greasy things in!

It started washing worse over Christmas. As it seems to be a "deads pot" only, I have resigned to only washing cutlery, plates and glasses since.

It's a fairly simple model, no shower head options, unfortunately.

PigletJohn Sat 15-Feb-14 14:20:38

accumulated grease can form a blockage. It is best to wipe off grease on kitchen roll first. Once inside, it does not seem possible to get grease blocks out without dismantling.

If you open it mid-cycle, does steam billow out, and is the water scalding?

misscph1973 Sat 15-Feb-14 15:10:40

Yes, it's hot and steamy when I open it.

To be honest, I think it's just getting old. I have had it for 5 years and it was used when I got it. It's a Bosch and I have replaced the filters about 2 years ago.

NotCitrus Sat 15-Feb-14 19:29:42

Ours is a Bosch too and the spare parts helpline people are.very helpful. A new arm might be quite cheap if you can't unblock yours with some wire.
Mine's had 13 years of crud...

carries Sat 15-Feb-14 23:56:23

I had the same problem with my 10 year old whirlpool machine. It was also running cold - new wire sorted that. Cleaning out the arms of plastic, egg shells, sweet corn kernels etc.. Sorted the blind spots. Working as new. The engineer sat for 30 minutes clearing the arms. Kept rinsing & shaking them, which loosened more bits. Worth while sitting with a pair of tweezers. Good luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 16-Feb-14 08:45:10

Run the hottest cycle empty with two cups of soda crystals (homebargains 65p), I really wouldn't expect a bosch to give up after 5 years.

Have you got enough salt in the reservoir.

misscph1973 Sun 16-Feb-14 13:34:27

Right, I have now really checked the arms, I ended up blowing through the little holes to make sure they were not obstructed. I also pulled the dish washer out to check the conditions of wires and tubes. The outlet tube was a bit squashed, so I made sure it was clear when I pushed it back. Not sure if it will help, but it is worth ruling that out.

Citrus, might contact Bosch to hear if they can trouble shoot, thanks.

Fluffy, I have actually run it with soda crystals before, with great results. perhaps I'll do that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now