Talk

Advanced search

Irons. Please recommend one.

(12 Posts)
nkf Thu 13-Feb-14 07:38:38

Just that. Mine has bust. With thanks in advance.

Cheshireblue Thu 13-Feb-14 18:14:00

Not sure what your budget is but I use a steam generator and tbh I wouldn't return to a normal iron! Mine is Phillips and I love it.

mummylin2495 Thu 13-Feb-14 18:27:35

I also recommend a steam generator. They were on offer in Robert Dyas.

nkf Thu 13-Feb-14 21:31:03

Just looked at steam generator on Amazon. Not sure what it is they do. Is i different to a steam iron?

nkf Thu 13-Feb-14 21:33:59

Do you do loads of ironing? There are three of us.

mummylin2495 Thu 13-Feb-14 22:35:50

The water is stored in the bottom tank so you do not have to keep filling the iron. The steam is constant and it irons beautifully.

nkf Fri 14-Feb-14 06:26:02

So you don't have to press a button to make it steam?

MrsJohnDeere Fri 14-Feb-14 12:24:46

Bumping for you. I need to buy a new iron this weekend and haven't got a clue what to get.

fwiw, I had a steam generator (Philips, I think) in the past and it was fabulous, but I dropped it and smashed it into 100 pieces after about 4 weeks and couldn't justify spending that sort of money again. I replaced it with a crappy £20 Tefal normal iron that was rubbish (has just died after 2 years).

nkf Fri 14-Feb-14 15:12:07

They are a hefty price I see. As much as #200. Bet you were livid when you dropped yours.

mummylin2495 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:41:25

Mine s a swan and it was in Robert Dyas reduced to £50 from £100 . It's great and yes there is a button to press to allow the steam through the pipe from tank to the iron.

Cheshireblue Sat 15-Feb-14 15:18:30

Sorry for delay! I bought mine from Costco - it is a phillips one and it won a good housekeeping award. It is fantastic - it has very high pressure and is self cleaning too. It was really expensive -around £200 but it cuts my ironing time by half and i also use it to blast creases out of curtains, hanging garments etc. I have had it about 3 years but expect it to last forever for that money.
I would never go back to a regular iron now.
There are steam generators for every budget. My mum paid about £70 for hers and she is a very happy. I never thought I would convince my mum to change from a regular iron but after trying mine she looked for one for herself

ChangeMyHappy Sun 16-Feb-14 20:13:08

I'm looking for a new iron last one came free with a catalogue order of my mum's about 15 years ago but don't have space for a steam generator iron. Am unclear as to the difference between ceramic/diamond/?? base plates. Just looking for something basic and efficient as I only really iron shirts (slattern emoticon grin).

Any recommendations greatly appreciated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now