Talk

Advanced search

Oil on carpet

(7 Posts)
Firsttimmemummy Wed 12-Feb-14 15:39:52

Hi All

Heeeeeelp.... I gave my baby a massage earlier and I've just realised I left the extra virgin olive oil I was using on the carpet and it has tipped over and spilt :-(

Has anyone got any tips on how to clean it up please?? Have been blotting at it with kitchen towel but could do with a better solution!

Many thanks! thanks

anklebitersmum Wed 12-Feb-14 15:50:54

Lots of washing up liquid and a bucket of hot water to rinse out rubbing sponge in..get the area good and wet & sudsy and the washing up liquid should 'trap' the oil as you clean and rinse.

Firsttimmemummy Wed 12-Feb-14 15:54:04

Thank you!!! thanks I love mumsnet, it holds the answer to EVERYTHING

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 12-Feb-14 16:01:48

Three days before our wedding, when I was in a lot of pain with a kidney infection, dh decided to change the oil filter on the car - and carried the old oil filter through the house to the bin, in a leaky carrier bag, dribbling dirty oil all through the lounge/dining room!

We scrubbed it out with lot of neat washing up liquid - and then he decided to Hoover all the foam out of the carpet. Do not do this. It killed our Hoover stone dead.

When I was forgotten and left sitting in the corner of the GP's surgery later on that afternoon, and then the receptionist got lost driving me home, I decided that all the disasters were happening before the wedding, so it would all go well on the day. It was that, or burst into tears and declare that the whole thing was cursed!

Firsttimmemummy Wed 12-Feb-14 16:10:31

Oh no, what a day!! Poor you, SDTG... (PS longest mumsnet nickname I've ever seen!) I hope you did have a good wedding day after all of that. Well I feel like a complete numpty but it appears to have worked, luckily I managed to clean it up before DD wakes up from her nap. Glad you told me, I was going to give the carpet a quick vac but I think I'll let the area dry out properly first :-)

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Wed 12-Feb-14 16:14:54

It was a lovely day, thank you - and I still laugh at the chapter of accidents that preceded it.

I'm glad the oil has all come out of your carpet too. You now deserve brew and cake!

Firsttimmemummy Wed 12-Feb-14 16:18:38

I agree!!! I will settle for tea and a twix :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: