Talk

Advanced search

Aqua Panel instead of tiles?

(10 Posts)
mannbookeriwish Wed 12-Feb-14 15:22:23

Has anyone these? Are there any problems with them? And would you recommend them?

I've seen them in a holiday cottage and thought that they were a great idea in terms of avoiding dirty grout & leaks, but not sure how they would be in our home.

Thanks

calendula Wed 12-Feb-14 16:31:56

We have them. 20 years old in one bathroom and close to 40 years old in the other one.

They last for ever and are easy to keep clean. Obviously the colour and style is very out of date in our bathrooms now. We will be redoing both bathrooms in the next couple of years and will be having Aqua panels on the walls again.

You can get them in fake "tile" style, but I prefer the completely smooth ones that are so easy to maintain.

youmakemydreams Wed 12-Feb-14 16:39:13

Easy to fit, cheaper and way easier to keep clean.
It really does seem to last forever and is much easier to take off and replace. It comes in a lot of lovely colours and patterns and ow compared to what it used to.
Bathroom getting done this year and it's top of my list.

leeloo1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:24:56

I just did this myself to solve leaking/mouldy grout issues (re-grouting lasted 3 years until leaks started again. sad We were quoted £750, so I decided to do it myself and all the materials/glue/mastic/trims cost £250.

I got the mosaic style panels from BathroomMarquee - they're about 25cm wide and 2.5m long - then cut them with a saw on the kitchen table and glued up - the panels slot together with tongue and grooves. Then you just have to mastic round the edges. I did find it annoying to try and match the pattern up (like wallpaper) but once I got into it it was pretty quick to measure up and cut a panel, check it fitted, then match it up to the next panel, mark where to cut on 2nd and then stick 1st in place.

It looks pretty cool and was an instant(ish) update - it took me 2-3 days to do the 2 walls (behind shower and bath wall), but that was between doing school runs and looking after my 10 week old baby. Mostly it was about 40 mins per strip (once I'd worked out what I was doing), but scribing the end panels to line up with our wonky walls took longer and trying to drill holes for the shower head-pole-thing and cutting bits to fit round the shower electrics took ages!

leeloo1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:27:12

Oh & I'm definitely not a DIY person, so if I can do it anyone can. grin

JoinTheDots Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:15

We used a coloured glass company to fit something very similar and it looks great, is easy to clean, and feels like it was a good decision. Probably more expensive (not sure) as you cannot fit yourself.

NoIamAngelaHernandez Wed 12-Feb-14 18:28:40

We did the fake tiles one and it looked so awful that we made the builders take them out again.

THe flat, marble-style ones clip together, giving a much better finish. FIne for level walls but less good for wonky walls (like ours...)

mannbookeriwish Thu 13-Feb-14 14:45:21

Excellent news - I think that I'd go for the flat marble-like ones too.

Any recommendable brands? I have had a look at Bathroom Marquee and they seem like a good but limited range.

specialsubject Fri 14-Feb-14 13:40:21

fitted them to a rental property a couple of months back. Going to see tenant this weekend so will report!

they do look nice though and there's no grout to go nasty. just remember to keep candles away.

NotCitrus Fri 14-Feb-14 14:16:51

Good news - we're planning on putting that in the lodger's bathroom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now