Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean brass taps?

(10 Posts)
Bucketsofdinosaurs Sat 05-Aug-06 11:42:16

Have been in my house 2 months now and finally got round to cleaning the downstairs loo. Only to find I have brass taps, for which Cillit Bang is not recommended . They are really rank and limescaley - what can I use?

Heathcliffscathy Sat 05-Aug-06 11:44:34

how clean is your house people say lemon juice and salt? or is it lemon juice and sugar for brass.

sorry about as much help as something not very helpful...

southeastastra Sat 05-Aug-06 11:59:50

brasso, not sure about the limescale though, you could try white vinegar as some of the limescale removers can stain

peanutbutterkid Mon 08-Jun-09 18:32:09

Ooh! I have this problem. I have limescale deposits around some brass taps. I read that you shouldn't use vinegar, because it may tarnish them(?). Similar damage by using toothpaste? Somewhere else I read oxalic acid (not sure where to get that, though). Or maybe a general descaler, but only leave it on a bare minimum of time.

Er, what should I use to remove the limescale?

LIZS Mon 08-Jun-09 18:34:01

white vinegar works ok but have found they discolour more than chrome due to limescale build up anyway.

peanutbutterkid Mon 08-Jun-09 18:39:54

Do you leave the white vinegar on to soak or do you scrub with...er, a rough cloth, maybe?

LIZS Mon 08-Jun-09 19:21:31

I leave it for a bit but not longer than 15 mins at a time. Vileda non scratch sponges work well.

peanutbutterkid Tue 09-Jun-09 14:22:35

Okay, that sounds good. Thanks!!

LIZS Tue 09-Jun-09 16:23:47

or use an old soft toothbrush

peanutbutterkid Wed 10-Jun-09 18:14:16

Ooh, lots of vinegar followed up with soaking in Coca Cola, but still plenty on there.
DH suggests Harpic -- crazy or worth a try?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now