Talk

Advanced search

What machine stitch is best for school trousers adjustment and re-adjustment?

(9 Posts)
Lexilicious Sun 09-Feb-14 20:53:17

I've just had to unpick the trousers that my son's ankles are now flashing out from. I don't think I am using the right stitch to take up the trousers, and wondered if anyone else knows this stuff.

One pair were taken up about 8cm using WondaWeb but it came away gradually, and with the trousers being tapered leg it's not ideal anyway. The other pair I cut about 5cm off, then used a stitch that keeps the cut edge from fraying while stitching through to the good side. (Hope that makes sense. I've no idea whether these stitches have a name).

The first pair I've now just turned up 2cm and done a basic stitch (number 1 on the machine, I expect that is the same on most?). The second pair I unpicked but doing that also unpicked the cut edge (so still with potential to fray), so I did a zig zag stitch to protect it and then turned it over just a bit and did Stitch 1 all round.

Next trousers we get him will probably need to be taken up then let out halfway then all the way. What would be the right stitch to use to do this without wrecking the fabric with each re-stitch?

Photos coming up...

AnyaKnowIt Sun 09-Feb-14 20:56:20

Have you got an invisible hem stitch?

Lexilicious Sun 09-Feb-14 20:57:41

Oh bugger, no photos in this topic.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 09-Feb-14 21:01:51

www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/07/blind-hem-stitch-with-a-sewing-machine.html

Lexilicious Sun 09-Feb-14 21:02:49

Anya, see pics over here. Any of the symbols on that machine look like the right one to use? Thank you!!

BirdintheWings Sun 09-Feb-14 21:06:16

Gaffer tape?
<ducks>

AnyaKnowIt Sun 09-Feb-14 21:08:22

I've looked, very nice machine!

PolterGoose Mon 10-Feb-14 17:42:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lexilicious Mon 10-Feb-14 21:03:40

Ah, see I don't want to cut the legs shorter next time, I want to hem them shorter and still be able to let them back out each time he puts on a sudden couple of inches. So the original question was more about how to do it in a reversible way as how to find the right stitch on the machine IYSWIM! I will try the one that's been mentioned given the pics on the other thread next time, thanks for all the ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now