Talk

Advanced search

Which steam cleaner for £100 or less?

(34 Posts)
LakeFlyPie Sun 09-Feb-14 13:55:29

Sorry I know there have been many threads about this but I'm still wavering between Polti Comfort and Karcher models (Pifco and Morphy Richards also background contenders).
The chosen model's work will involve tiled floors and walls,glass shower screens, wooden floors and general kitchen and bathroom duties. Please help me spend my money.
TIA

AmIatwat Sun 09-Feb-14 14:01:23

I've had two cheapies and both went back to store, absolutely hopeless and spurted water everywhere and the pressure was too weak. You get what you pay for.
I occasionally borrow my neighbours steam cleaner; it's amazing. The brand is Polti. Check the reviews for steam cleaners on Amazon.

AmIatwat Sun 09-Feb-14 14:03:26

Oh and it cost about £400 10 years ago.

MrsFlorrick Sun 09-Feb-14 14:15:23

I've had a polti hand held, a shark steam mop, a shark handheld and finally the H2O x5.

The H2O is brilliant. It's a steam mop which converts into a hand held duster, window cleaner, garment steamer and a high pressure steam shot.

I do all my dusting with it and house has never been cleaner.

The steam shot thing does my stainless steel ovens and has hob and they are gleaming. It also cleans the parts of the toilet and seat you can't reach. And shower drains etc.

I honestly cannot rave enough.

And it takes so much less time to clean house.
I have a wood panelled lounge and it cleans all the wood panelling easily.

It converts from one use to another in two clicks.
And you can top up the water tank whilst its hot (some models you have to wait for them to cool!).
It's £99 for the mop but you need £19.99 for the converter kit.
And that includes about a million extra pads.
Robert days has an offer on.

LakeFlyPie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:31:30

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

Unfortunately £400 isn't my budget AmIaTwat, wish it was.

Am starting to suspect that the multi-use machines aren't the best and wonder if a separate handheld and floor machine are the way forward, but that doubles the indecision about which machine to go for!

I saw a handheld Vax and Vax floor mop in my local B+M today (total price for both would be about £80) but if they're both crap I'd be doubly pissed off grin

Think I may go for the Polti Comfort for no good reason other than a few good reviews (it also has some bad ones) and 'a feeling' it may do the jobs I want it to.

AmIatwat Tue 11-Feb-14 22:25:51

Bought one from B&M it went back the same day. I'm not a habitual complainer. Assistant didn't ask any questions, I think she just knew.

Aaliyah1 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:48:32

I've seen the H2O on QVC today for 60£. Is it worth getting? I don't know if I was just sucked into the demo

Aaliyah1 Sat 15-Feb-14 14:48:36

I've seen the H2O on QVC today for 60£. Is it worth getting? I don't know if I was just sucked into the demo

KatoPotato Sat 15-Feb-14 14:50:36

Morphy Richards 9-in-1 here. I adore it! It does absolutely everything!

even cheaper on amazon

maudpringle Sat 15-Feb-14 15:00:56

I have the vax one.Pro floor?
It was on offer in sainsburys for under £50
I love it.It has cleaned my floors brilliantly and revived a mat that now looks like new.Fab smile

LakeFlyPie Sat 15-Feb-14 15:32:41

Ooh, kato my finger is hovering on the Amazon buy it button.
Everything you say?!
Looks great for floors, will it do my tiled walls, floors and glass shower screens too?

KatoPotato Sun 16-Feb-14 12:15:31

Yes yes and yes. Our entire bathroom is sparkling right now! Not sure about shower screen but I used it on our patio doors and while you have to buff a few streaks it worked a treat!

The handheld bit pops out really easily and you're good to go! It even lifted melted wax off my carpet that I've previously tried everything on!

LakeFlyPie Sun 16-Feb-14 14:44:50

Sold grin

Will hopefully arrive tuesday and transform my filthy house to a gleaming abode

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 17-Feb-14 19:34:16

Kato can you use tap water in the Morphy Richards? I see lots of people in the write up use boiled cooled water with no problems but apparently it invalidates the warranty. I want a steam cleaner that uses tap water.

CookieLady Mon 17-Feb-14 19:35:58

Kato, how well does it work on carpets?

Op, sorry for the hijack.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Mon 17-Feb-14 19:43:33

Kitty If you have a condenser tumble dryer you can use that water instead.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Mon 17-Feb-14 19:53:52

My dryer isn't a condenser, unfortunately.

LakeFlyPie Mon 17-Feb-14 22:28:19

Hijack away; I'm keen to hear any words of wisdom where steam cleaners are concerned.

We're in NW England, v soft water area, never had a problem with any heated element electrical items ever before and wasn't planning on starting to buy distilled water now

Steam cleaner due to be delivered tomorrow, DC are having a sleepover at their grandparent's house tomorrow evening and I should be planning a rare evening of romance and seduction with DP, but all I can think of is cleaning floors and shower screens.
That's bad / sad isn't it shock

KatoPotato Mon 17-Feb-14 23:15:41

Hi guys!! I just use tap water in mine! But I live in Scotland with good water quality!

Works great on my carpets too.

LakeFlyPie Tue 18-Feb-14 23:18:03

It's arrived and my tiled floors are gleaming grin
£50 well spent I think and I've not even gone handheld yet, thanks for the tip kato

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 19-Feb-14 20:57:31

I ordered the Morphy Richards and it arrived today but I won't get hence to use it until Friday at the earliest. Am very giddily looking forward to super clean floors and tiles!

KatoPotato Wed 19-Feb-14 21:17:28

I did the cooker hood today it was greasy and dusty... Lovely!!

It's now all sheeny shiny!!

CookieLady Thu 20-Feb-14 07:00:37

Well, I caved in and ordered the Morphy Richards one. It should be arriving later today.

Kato, thanks.

KatBond Fri 21-Feb-14 21:27:53

Personally i would have brought the Karcher SC1020 its a powerful machine and its reliable brand. I have had it over a year and its been amazing clears the dirt off the tileOkay the only thing i don't like is the cord length and its bit heavy when the tank is filled with water. I even brought the karcher window vac to have spotless windows.

racmun Fri 21-Feb-14 21:48:39

I've convinced myself that I need one of these. I saw an advert on tv earlier and it showed it being used to clean carpets.

Do they actually work on carpets? Do the carpets look cleaner afterwards?

We usually get the carpets cleaned every 6 months or so and I'm thinking the money we save doing that will pay for it! (Justify me buying it)

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now