Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning Dog wee on carpet - Can anyone give me a good method?

(9 Posts)
CosyTeaBags Thu 06-Feb-14 10:04:30

I know this has been asked before, but on searching through there seem to be so many different opinions that I'm confused.

I have some dog wee stains on a beige carpet. Each time I have cleaned them immediately with hot soapy water, but the stain just seems to have spread out.

Is there anything I can do? I have bought biological washing power - do I shake this on to a damp carpet and leave it? Or scrub with it?

I'm considering buying a steam cleaner - would that help?

My dog is becoming a little incontinent in her advancing years and I think this might be an ongoing problem, so I need a good cleaning method!

ZingSweetApple Thu 06-Feb-14 18:29:52

for the smell - bicarb of soda. let it dry, hoover up.

not sure about any discolouration though., but I think a carpet cleaner is a good idea.

sorry she is loosing her bladder control

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 07-Feb-14 15:10:39

Zoflora.

EmNetta Sat 08-Feb-14 01:15:04

I got black coffee stain from beige carpet using glycerine diluted with water then rinsed well, I'd try it for wee stains, alternatively ask vet's advice.

MonstersBalls Sat 08-Feb-14 01:27:27

I've been using Rug doctor which appears to work in the short term. But either bastard dog is having sneaky wees or the stain just reappears a few days later. Sorry I'm not much help.

CosyTeaBags Sat 08-Feb-14 09:31:41

Going to try soaking it and sprinkling biological washing powder on it and leaving for a while before scrubbing today. I will report back.

It doesn't really smell, it's just the stain.

Thanks Zing she goes through phases, as if she gets into a habit of not bothering to go for a wee, and just pees where she sleeps, Then other times she's fine. Love her to bits in all her weirdness though.

NCISaddict Sat 08-Feb-14 09:42:58

Has she been spayed? Sometimes bitches can get a sort of incontinence when elderly, my old dog did and I got some Ponstan (?) from the vets which put a stop to it. I don't think they realise they're doing it, it's sort of leakage when they're relaxed.

DairyFogMother Sat 08-Feb-14 22:08:55

www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Extreme-Carpet-Shampoo/dp/B0041ZPZH8 Simple Solutions is marvellous stuff, dilute in a spray bottle and it cleans, taking away and odour. Patch test before using. When visiting dogs have piddled on our cream carpet, spray and blot seems to do the trick.

Also use this www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008LBA86G/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in my Rug Doctor with excellent results.

Some bitches do suffer with spay incontinence thta can respond to treatment so might be worth taking her for a checkup.

CosyTeaBags Wed 12-Feb-14 11:42:11

Thanks everyone.

I tried scrubbing it with biological washing powder. The more recent stain, which I blotted most of the urine out of immediately after it happened - seems ok, still a bit of a mark, but doesn't smell.

The older stain - which we found the next morning, so it had soaked into the carpet - has just spread. No improvement at all, it's just bigger. And it smells. AND I used an old flannel to blot out the water after I've cleaned it, and washed the flannel on a 60c wash... and it still stinks of wee! I'm going to have to bin it!

I'll have to get some of that industrial stuff recommended by you lot.

Thanks everyone for the concern about the dog - yes she's been spayed, and yes the vet says it's just something that happens to dogs as they get older. Bless her it just leaks out when she's relaxed sometimes - but she also occasionally just goes and wees on the carpet knowingly. She has issues, it happens. I just need to find a good cleaning strategy for when it does!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now