Talk

Advanced search

What's the difference between a food processor and a blender?

(9 Posts)
ElBombero Wed 05-Feb-14 22:02:22

I bought a blender for making soups / purée's in and it's bloody rubbish. Leaves things lumpy only gets the contents spinning if very wet... Thinking it might be a food processor that I need?

Mojang Wed 05-Feb-14 22:07:22

Do you mean the jug with the pointy blades inside, that used to be called a liquidiser?

I use a stick blender for soups and purees. You can blend it in the pan so it saves washing up and you don't have to store another great big gadget. This kind of thing I get nice smooth soups with no lumps.

I don't think you want a food processor

ElBombero Wed 05-Feb-14 22:12:12

Yeah think that might do the job, starting weaning soon so would definitely come in handy. Yes liquidiser... Did go for a cheaper one but just doesn't work

RiojaHaze Wed 05-Feb-14 22:22:44

The stick blender I used for weaning was only a fiver from Argos. Did me through 3 DCs!

starfishmummy Wed 05-Feb-14 22:24:30

The tall jug type blender are usually much better at puree-ing things than food processors.

Have you tried pulsing it? Is it overfilled?
Maybe it is faulty

ElBombero Wed 05-Feb-14 22:27:11

Steamed 5 carrots today, put them in jug with about 50ml of milk n barely nothing, but of purée in middle but didn't swish the whole lot around, have a just got a naff one?

Mojang Wed 05-Feb-14 22:27:37

I don't think mine cost much Rioja but then it is c. 20 years old! There's one on the JL site for £200!!!

starfishmummy Wed 05-Feb-14 22:33:18

Mm. Ages since I did baby food and actually 5 carrots and 50ml may not be enough for a full sized blender.

Try doing a bigger quantity - maybe some soup for the adults where a few lumps won't matter - and see what hapens

PigletJohn Thu 06-Feb-14 10:00:29

A stick blender, you have to keep lifting and lowering, or hold tilting, so the lumps can get under the blades. Otherwise it sucks itself to the bottom of the pan.

BTW let boiling liquids cool a bit, otherwise plastic parts may soften and bend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now