Talk

Advanced search

Getting whites white again

(15 Posts)
Weelady77 Tue 04-Feb-14 11:36:44

I always separate my loads of washing darks colours and whites but my whites are looking a bit dull especially dd vests how can I get them bright white again??

Weelady77 Tue 04-Feb-14 21:24:53

Anybody?

ThePearShapedToad Tue 04-Feb-14 21:40:07

Ecover laundry bleach powder (try waitrose)

wonder product

All the other ones such as vanish oxi etc don't seem to do anything, but the ecover one is magical

I totally adore it smile

Also, if you have a garden / space, drying in sunlight also helps whiten whites

Weelady77 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:39:18

Thank you pear will get that at the weekend smile

ThePearShapedToad Tue 04-Feb-14 22:42:27

No probs. Have seen other posters before suggesting soaking greying items in napisan also

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 09:52:10

Have you been doing low temperature washes and/or using liquid? A hot wash with powder will whiten them more. It may help to add a cup of washing soda.

If powder sludges in the drawer, put it into the drum through the door.

Weelady77 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:59:18

I have done a few washes on a 40c think I'll stick to a 60c or higher

marceline Wed 05-Feb-14 18:29:02

I'm going to try the magical Ecover powder. Does it work at low temp? I have to wash DS's karate Gi at 30c and it's never white!

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Wed 05-Feb-14 18:34:41

I used to use napisan for whites, along with non-bio liquid detergent at 60 degrees, & everything went grey

Now I just use bio detergent (Aldi powder) at 40, & wash whites along with light coloureds, & they are gleaming!

ThePearShapedToad Wed 05-Feb-14 19:23:56

Don't know about low temps marceline, I must admit I wash my whites at 60 (mainly towels and bedding anyway)

And am ruthless about only whites with whites, not even pale coloured clothing can join them. Big glug of ecover in the pre wash section, standard laundry detergent in main drawer, dry outside if possible smile

It keeps my whites sparkling, but not sure if it would bring them back IYSWIM.

< goes back to stroking the ecover box >

Weelady77 Wed 05-Feb-14 20:10:55

I think it's the washing at 40c that's buggered the whites mostly dd vests and couple of towels! I always just have whites in the load not changed my soap powder (fairy powder) always washed 60c or above until recently!! My own stupid fault hmm

I've have heard of people bleaching whites! Do you know how this is done?

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Wed 05-Feb-14 20:26:39

Fairy is non-bio?

Try washing with bio for a bit - it makes a massive difference

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Wed 05-Feb-14 20:31:08

But bio only works properly at 40 or below

Underwear, towels etc should be washed at 60 (to help kill germs) in non-bio, but you could occasionally wash in bio at 40 as well, for stain removal & better whiteness

PigletJohn Thu 06-Feb-14 01:55:49

if you have a modern cold-fill machine, it washes in cold, then cool, then warm, then hot, as the temperature rises.

Grokette Thu 06-Feb-14 02:05:46

I use bleach. Half to one cup per load, in with powder, then dry as PearShapedToad says in sunlight. Taking them off the line hurts my eyes, they're so bright. I love bleach. Nothing like seeing a line of whites in the garden, makes me feel all virtuous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now