Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever re-waterproofed a Merrell Haven coat?

(14 Posts)
Janek Tue 04-Feb-14 10:02:42

I have had my Merrell Haven since December 2010 and when I first bought it, it was fantastic - warm, waterproof, stylish. I loved it. But it started to smell a bit like an anorak and when it was 18 months old i suddenly realised it had washing instructions, so I washed it.

It took me a while to realise it (in fact it was something someone on mumsnet said that made me realise), but washing it stopped it being waterproof, and it needs to be!

Apparently you can get a waterproofing spray, or my dm rewaterproofs her anorak using nikwax in the washing machine.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these things on an ordinary, formerly waterproof, coat? Any advice gratefully received as we're going to Dublin soon and I will want to be dry! Thanks.

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 11:30:53

I washed mine with nikwax (green lid bottle). It worked brilliantly and dead easy. smile

Bung it in the machine, follow the garment instructions and leave to dry. Doesn't need a tumble dryer either which is great (as I don't have one!)

Janek Tue 04-Feb-14 12:15:27

Oh great, that is exactly the news i wanted to hear. I might do that today in fact!

Janek Tue 04-Feb-14 12:17:17

Do you think it will revitalise my previously 'ruined' coat though?

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 13:47:53

It did wonders for every jacket I tried it on - my Merrell Haven, dh's crag hopper coat, dcs H&M ski jackets, even cheap showerproof dcs jacket from next (not at all technical wear)

It shouldn't do any more 'harm' iykwim. smile

Janek Tue 04-Feb-14 15:56:37

So the actual 'washing' stuff, rather than the the re-proofing stuff? You have filled me with hope, thank you so much!

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 17:01:25

nikwax tech wash

This is what I used. It cleans and re-waterproofs but is also good for the linings etc which you don't want to be waterproofed iyswim.

Janek Tue 04-Feb-14 17:19:44

Perfect, thank you so, so much! thanks

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 17:47:22

Have fun pouring water on it afterwards and watching it bra up like mercury. I didn't spend ages doing that at all! grin

Suddengeekgirl Tue 04-Feb-14 17:47:37

Bead up not bra! confused

PurpleFrog Tue 04-Feb-14 22:42:07

What did you wash it with originally. You can wash with soap flakes and retain waterproof qualities but you should not use detergent!

Janek Wed 05-Feb-14 11:47:21

I washed it with Ecover I would have thought (we've changed washing liquid now, but i think when i washed it we were still using ecover). The washing instructions definitely don't say 'no detergent' otherwise i wouldn't have used it, which is why i'm annoyed, i washed it according to the instructions.

So i have tried the nikwax technowash, said coat is currently being buffeted by a gale on the line, so hopefully it will be dry soon. Then i'm hoping i won't have to re-waterproof, but only time will tell...

Janek Thu 06-Feb-14 09:03:39

Coat is now dry.... But it's not raining shock... So i ran my arm under the tap... And it seems to have worked!

I can't believe it. Thank you so much for the advice suddengeekgirl thanks.

Suddengeekgirl Thu 06-Feb-14 09:46:56

No problem! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now