Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Caked-on burntness on pan. Salvageable?

(29 Posts)
YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 20:24:39

I completely wrecked a stainless steel pan whilst heating hot chocolate. The hot chocolate is a thick layer of burnt crust now, I can't scrape it off at all. Is there any hope, shall I try the white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda concoction, or is that more for minor pan incidents? Any other solutions?

TinyDiamond Mon 03-Feb-14 20:27:01

yes try that otherwise sometimes washing powder works layer it on then scrub. soak overnight maybe with water from the kettle too. it should come up

missorinoco Mon 03-Feb-14 20:27:10

If you just did it today I would soak it in bicarbonate of soda with warm water. That has rectified a fair few pans for me.

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 20:29:59

I did it yesterday. I already soaked it with bicarb and hot water overnight last night, didn't even dent it.
Will try washing powder tonight and leave overnight, then buy white vinegar tomorrow. Just didn't want to waste hours scrubbing, if it was futile. Bit it was not a cheap pan. I am why we can't have nice things.

Thank you for the quick responses.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 03-Feb-14 20:32:34

I leave them to soak overnight with half a (cheap) dishwasher tablet dissolved in hot water, then heat it on the hob until it almost boils. Repeat at intervals until all the burnt in food has come off. Has saved quite a few pans for me.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Mon 03-Feb-14 20:34:11

You could try putting the pan on to boil with warm soapy water in it - just water and washing up liquid, bring it to a boil and it should lift off. It has worked for me in the past.

Rascalls3 Mon 03-Feb-14 21:10:44

If all the above fail, buy a bottle of Oven Mate from Lakeland. Brush it on (do your oven at the same time!) leave overnight and rinse off in the morning. I did my oven today and I am still admiring the results!

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 21:26:07

Thank you. I don't actually have a dishwasher so no tablets. May buy some if the other methods don't help at all.

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 21:26:54

Rascalls, I did try an ordinary oven cleaner already. Zero effect! Argh!

chemenger Mon 03-Feb-14 21:32:45

Brillo pad?

SilverLining Mon 03-Feb-14 21:33:45

I second a brillo pad - marvellous and saved many a pan for me!

Bowlersarm Mon 03-Feb-14 21:37:59

I couldn't save a casserole dish recently. Spent hours trying various methods which didn't work. Threw it away in the end. Although didn't know about the oven cleaner trick, so,would try that next time.

kazzawazzawoo Mon 03-Feb-14 21:38:02

Apparently if you have no dishwasher tablets, biological washing powder also works.

NoodieRoodie Mon 03-Feb-14 21:38:06

I've used this and a scourer to rescue a few pans that DH has cooked with! I've never paid this much for it though, you can generally get it for about a pound in the cheap shops.

notso Mon 03-Feb-14 21:39:02

I am quite a clumsy cook so burnt offerings are all to frequent blush

I find a good soak in very hot soapy water, followed by as scrub with a aluminium scourer or a Brillo pad works on pretty much anything.

GwennieF Mon 03-Feb-14 21:40:19

Fill with coke and leave overnight. Powerful stuff coca cola!

RaspberryLemonPavlova Mon 03-Feb-14 21:43:22

Second biological washing powder and dishwasher tablet, but my fave is soda crystals. Very cheap and very effective.

onetiredmummy Mon 03-Feb-14 21:47:53

I came on to say a dishwasher tablet in hot water overnight. Tip away in the morning and it wipes off smile

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 03-Feb-14 21:54:51

Washing powder or liquid, boiling water and soda crystals. Left overnight. May take two goes. I've used this on my le creuset. Works like a dream.

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 21:57:08

Brilliant, thank you all so much, I will try everything! smile

VikingLady Mon 03-Feb-14 21:59:16

You can buy a small pack of dishwasher tablets in pound shops - just so you don't have to spend a fortune!

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 21:59:25

Where do I get soda crystals from?

YoniRotten Mon 03-Feb-14 22:10:37

Just found soda crystals in the online supermarkets, answered my own question.

Am currently boiling with washing powder. It stinks.

Rascalls3 Mon 03-Feb-14 22:15:58

Lakeland's Oven Mate is definitely NOT an ordinary oven cleaner. I can't do the linkie thing but on their website there are 475 reviews for this product so you don't have to take my word for it. And no I don't work for Lakeland I just love a few of their product.......and yes I am taking about you HG Mould Remover.....

Facebaffle Mon 03-Feb-14 22:16:06

Soak with either a layer of oven cleaner or cillit bang. It's worked for me in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now