Talk

Advanced search

Best/cheapest place to get foam cut for window seat?

(19 Posts)
Lioninthesun Thu 30-Jan-14 15:41:35

I need a large thick foam cut - builder has measured it as 2385mm W by 560mm H and so far everything is running into hundreds...surely that isn't quite right? Or am I being naive?
Any help greatly appreciated!

kazzymac Thu 30-Jan-14 15:52:21

Have you tried a local market? There is a stall on our local one where he will cut the foam to size. HTH

Lioninthesun Thu 30-Jan-14 15:59:18

Our local market doesn't seem that extensive...we only seem to have fruit/veg/bakery/dodgy batteries and jumping dog toys perhaps with the odd rip off Cath Kidston bag sad Maybe the next town along would be better for that though, may have to ask someone in the know who has a car smile

IsItSummerYet Thu 30-Jan-14 16:04:08

Dunelm, if there is one near you?

Lioninthesun Thu 30-Jan-14 16:34:50

There is one, but I looked online and the largest cushion they do is 30x30, so I wasn't sure if they did larger cuts. Perhaps if I go into the shop?

somewheresomehow Sat 01-Feb-14 18:06:58

you could try dunhelm mill they do large pieces of foam in different thicknesses

Cutiecat Sun 02-Feb-14 01:44:08

I have used www.efoam.co.uk several times for window seat pads, bench pads and seat pads. Good price and fast despatch.

Crowler Sun 02-Feb-14 10:11:10

Where are you? If you're in London I have a good place.

Lioninthesun Sun 02-Feb-14 22:34:15

Sadly not London but in SE. What price would people say is about right?
I'm hoping to get to D.Mill soonish but if I can source cheaper on line am happy to (as mentioned lack of car is a big disadvantage, esp with a toddler in tow when buying this!).

steppemum Sun 02-Feb-14 22:39:38

there is a shop near us that does foam cut any size any thickness to measure.
We are swindon, shop is called Ron's stores, rodbourne road. They are an old fashioned hardware/anything store. Very trustworthy, it is probably cheaper to get someone like them to cut it and courier it that buy it made to measure.

Dollybird86 Sun 02-Feb-14 22:43:18

EBay maybe £20 huh

Purpletoes Sun 02-Feb-14 22:43:42

I am in London and looking for same thing for a bay window. Any recommendations are very welcome. My first craft project in a long time!

Lioninthesun Sun 02-Feb-14 23:18:24

I've emailed for a quote on ebay...will see what they come up with.

I've also done a google check of my town and no where cuts foam like your lovely shop in Swindon.

I'll head to D.Mill if the quote is still high and see what they say.

Good luck with your project Purpletoes!

Glowlamp Sun 02-Feb-14 23:49:10

Try an independent upholsterers. I got foam cut to size and some wadding chucked in. Very helpful.

Lioninthesun Mon 03-Feb-14 13:29:53

Well the ebay people gave a quote for £50 with free postage, which is far cheaper than other online sites smile I will also try D.mill though in case they come back with less.

Wingdingdong Tue 04-Feb-14 19:23:37

I've just chopped up the foam cot mattress for this purpose (DC2 now in toddler bed on sprung mattress, not mattress-less!). Nobody wants a secondhand cot mattress and it saved me having to make a trip to the tip.

If you have a toddler, it may be that you still have a cot mattress languishing or about to be outgrown. If not, ask your friends. You may well be doing them a favour by taking it off their hands!

Wingdingdong Tue 04-Feb-14 19:28:10

Sorry, misread the length needed. Guess you'd need two mattresses!

Lioninthesun Thu 06-Feb-14 00:08:01

Thanks Wing ! Yes, I thought it would be about that size when I first started planning the window seat... Yes, it would be 2 cot mattresses and sadly I don't have twins grin Thank you though. Would have saved on wadding too!

Grotbagstwin Thu 06-Feb-14 00:51:31

Every market I have worked on has a foam seller, worth asking the haberdasher or fabric stalls as they can normally source it if they don't stock large pieces, ours get large pieces delivered within 24 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now